UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2017, 11:26 am   #1
ianm
Hexode

Default Unusual discovery on Smiths Delhi Medium

One for the electric clock people on the forum!

The other day, I bought for a princely sum a rather sad looking Smiths Delhi Medium with a Bijou movement. A perfect candidate for restoration. However, upon getting it home, I noticed something a little odd.

I was aware at the time of purchase that the stalk for setting the hands was missing. No problem, as I could make one, or find another amongst my pile of spares. It was at this point that I noticed there is no hole in the bottom of the bakelite casing for the stalk. Now, I'm aware that the later examples of these clocks, when fitted with the dreaded QGEM movement, were intended for back setting of the hands. I'm therefore wondering if the case and the dial/movement are a 'marriage' of early and late parts. There is no shadow marking on the back of the dial where a different movement might have once existed, suggesting that the dial and movement would have been replaced together, rather than simply the movement replaced on its own.

What do others think about this, please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delhi.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	145002  

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 24th Jun 2017, 2:57 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Unusual discovery on Smiths Delhi Medium

That's a tricky one, Ian.

We know the case has no hole, so it must have been designed to be set by poking one's hand around the back and fumbling for the handset knob.

I wonder whether it originally had knob fitted directly to the shaft, as opposed to an extension stalk protruding through a hole in the case.

I see that it's engraved "LCC" on the back, i.e. London County Council, so it may well have begun its life in a school etc.
Old 24th Jun 2017, 3:31 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Continued...

Maybe the obvious choice of movement, i.e. that with the handset protruding from the back, would have been too deep.

Here's a pic of another Smiths wall clock with its original DeLuxe movement which has a bottom handset and short stalk which does not protrude through the case:

N.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clock.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	145007  
Old 24th Jun 2017, 4:37 pm   #4
ianm
Hexode

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your comments. Your picture gives me food for thought and I think I'll look at fitting a short stalk as a practical solution. You're right about London County Council, as LCC is printed on the dial too.

Old 24th Jun 2017, 4:42 pm   #5
Rubberfingers
Pentode

I wonder whether the short stalk and no hole was an option or a special order for a clock to go into schools etc. to discourage tampering by pupils.
Old 25th Jun 2017, 10:43 am   #6
ianm
Hexode

Hi Rubberfingers,

Now there's a thought! Never even crossed my mind, but definitely a possibility.

Looking at my options for the aforementioned missing stalk, I reckon that one from a Durban wall clock would be ideal, as it's essentially a much shorter version of the ones fitted to larger clocks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	durban1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	145048  

Old 25th Jun 2017, 11:03 am   #7
RobinBirch
Hexode

Forgive my ignorance but are these "stand alone" or synchronous clocks - I ask as I've got a synchronome master clock at home and have often tinkered with the idea of getting a slave for it to go in another room.

Kind regards

Robin
Old 25th Jun 2017, 11:10 am   #8
ianm
Hexode

Hi Robin,

These are synchronous clocks, but in common with a few others on here, I have an interest in slave dials also. In fact, there are one or two here that I might be willing to part with, which would be suitable for use with your Synchronome master. Please drop me a PM if you wish to explore that further.

Closed Thread