UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2017, 9:18 pm   #1
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Odd Coloured 400 Series Telephone

Hello

I've just got hold of a PERFECT 400 series phone - it looks much like this one - with the silver vents on each side:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/572872015074451098/

BUT, this phone has a really odd colour - it is almost caramel - and I've checked inside and although lighter, it is not a usual white.

Is it supposed to be like this? Can it be made to look less like a lump of old soap?

SEAN
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 9:22 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Odd Coloured 400 Series Telephone

White or ivory phones always seem to go yellow. Happens even if they're stored in complete darkness.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 9:48 pm   #3
Records
Hexode

This happens a lot apparently the pigment in the plastic that makes it white, seperates as it gets older and you end up with a yellow look to it.
I think you can buy polish that brings it back, but ive been told it doesnt last, there is no long term solution.
a bit off topic but the Sega Dreamcast console, if you remember those, where white but they go a hideous yellow, i have one and its been stored in its box when not used and its still gone yellow.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 6:01 am   #4
SeanStevens
Octode

Many thanks

SEAN
Old 26th Jun 2017, 8:12 am   #5
bobskie
Hexode

Google retr0brite, it's a formula you can make which whitens yellowing plastics. I'm not sure how it would work in this case but I can say it works well on games consoles such as the previously mentioned Dreamcast. Have a look on YouTube for some results it's quite amazing the difference it makes.
Closed Thread