UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2017, 8:10 pm   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Battery Panasonic CF-28 laptop.

I need to replace the battery on this old laptop. I am having a job to find one (they are listed by various suppliers and are either silly money + £££££ postage from the States or out of stock when you go to order) so I have managed to open the battery which wasn't easy and will try and re cell it. These must be 3.7V cells but they are unmarked. The attached shows how they're connected.
Battery pack rated at 11.1V 5.4Ah. Each cell measures 65mm X 17.5 MM diameter. Is there a 'type' designation for this size as I only seem to find the smaller AA sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	144905  

Last edited by terrybull; 22nd Jun 2017 at 8:35 pm.
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 8:11 pm   #2
terrybull
Octode

Default Re: Battery Panasonic CF-28 laptop.

Layout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	144906  
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 10:06 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Lithium cells are sized by dismeter and length. For instance, an 18650 cell is 18 mm.ø by 65.0 mm. long. (Same as a 2032 is 20 mm. ø by 3.2 mm. thick.) Even if they are not labelled, you should be able to measure them and find suitable replacements.

EDIT: Actually, that sounds like what you have got. 18650 is a very common size. You should be spoilt for choice.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 7:11 am   #4
terrybull
Octode

I think you're right Julie M. 18650. Just what I needed to know. They seem to be listed as for flashlight so I assumed they were AA size but delving into the details they do seem to fit the bill.
Thank for that.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 7:15 pm   #5
Mooly
Octode

I have been told that the electronics built into the pack keep a track of the 'wear level' and even if new cells are fitted they may not fully charge.

I had problems with a new pack (different issue to you) but the information received was interesting. Don't know if it would help or not but perhaps worth a read.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/every...questions.html
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 7:22 pm   #6
Station X

The CF28 has a battery refresh routine, which I believe takes care of all that.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 8:31 pm   #7
Mooly
Octode

Ah that's interesting. I hadn't heard of that before..
Old 24th Jun 2017, 9:18 am   #8
terrybull
Octode

Some modern batteries have very complex circuitry to ensure only official branded batteries are used. I beleive (hope) that my Panasonic is sufficiently ancient to not have such complex shenanigans.
There is an interesting YouTube video of someone who hacked the replacement battery on a laptop to get it to recognise and charge it.
Closed Thread