UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2017, 12:38 am   #1
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Smiths vintage clock info please

I was looking for some information on this clock. I bought it from a flea market yesterday. The guy had 4 Smiths clocks but said I could have this one half price as it's a reproduction or fake.

It is not as old as the other ones he had but I think it must be the real deal as it's well made and feels heavy.

It's 240 volt and the cable is not double insulated and no CE mark so I would say it's 1980's. One other thing it says on the front made in UK not England again I'm thinking 1980's.

Unless anyone knows different?

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	144336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	144337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	144338  
Old 12th Jun 2017, 7:43 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths vintage clock info please

I would say 1980s too, maybe even later.

The Smiths branding on the front looks exactly the same as you see on their relatively recent plug-in mains timers and automatic light switches etc.

So, not a fake, but made after the era of "proper" Smiths clocks where everything, especially the movement, was made in-house.

Note that by this time, synchronous clocks had already fallen out of favour, the rise of very cheap, battery-powered quartz clocks having truly begun. So I suspect this was marketed as being intended to replace worn-out clocks in existing, "legacy" synchronous installations in hospitals, schools, etc.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 12th Jun 2017 at 7:50 am.
Old 12th Jun 2017, 8:35 am   #3
Station X

My workshop clock is identical to that. I bought it at "The East Suffolk Wireless Revival" many years ago.

I've never concerned myself as to whether it's genuine or not. It works and is easy to see. That's all I require of it.

I can't recollect ever seeing a synchronous clock with a double insulated mains lead. That's not to say they don't exist though.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 13th Jun 2017, 1:46 am   #4
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Graham and Nick thanks for the reply .i bought it for my workshop as I wanted something just a little industrial looking but not going over the top Andy
Old 13th Jun 2017, 3:20 pm   #5
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Interesting that the plate states that the movement was made in the USA.
Malcolm
Old 13th Jun 2017, 3:45 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, presumably a bought-in movement, made over there but with our mains in mind. I get the impression that synchronous clocks remained popular longer over there than they did here.
Old 13th Jun 2017, 7:39 pm   #7
hamid_1
Heptode

The label on the back of the clock says "SMITHS IND(ustries) CLOCK CO".

According to Barrie Smith's website, this company name was used from 1977 onwards. He also says that Smiths stopped making domestic clocks in 1979. If this is correct, your clock must have been made between 1977 and 1979 i.e. very late 70s.

Although it's stated that Smiths stopped making clocks in 1979, there are a couple of clocks from 1981-82 which bear the Smiths name - see here http://www.electric-clocks.co.uk/SMITHS/sm-oddity.htm

So it's possible (but unlikely) that yours is another example of an early 80s Smiths clock, undiscovered until now. My guess is that it was made just before production stopped in 1979. Smiths were probably using up the last of their cases and fitting imported movements, having already stopped making their own movements by then.
Old 13th Jun 2017, 9:41 pm   #8
Records
Hexode

Looks like an ex British Rail clock, up North we had loads of those style on platforms and in ticket offices etc.
Old 14th Jun 2017, 8:45 am   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Did these not carry the BR double arrow logo though?
Old 14th Jun 2017, 10:24 pm   #10
bionicmerlin
Heptode

That's some good info . I have been looking at the web sites Hamid listed very interesting stuff. Infact it might be bad news talking about all these clocks as it makes me want to do things I shouldn't start collecting clocks. Andy
Closed Thread