UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2017, 12:25 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default QI programme last night.

Any one see the early computer storage devices on BBC "QI" last night? Unfortunately I can not find it on BBC I player. I am sure it will be available to watch somewhere out there.

John.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 12:39 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: QI programe last night.

It was a repeat of an old QI from when Steven Fry presented it; perhaps that is why it is not on the BBC iPlayer.

All the old computer hardware shown in that program was on loan from the National Museum of Computing, so perhaps you could go and see it there. Mind you, Bletchley Park is a long walk from Yorkshire.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 1:47 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: QI programe last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
All the old computer hardware shown in that program was on loan from the National Museum of Computing, so perhaps you could go and see it there. Mind you, Bletchley Park is a long walk from Yorkshire.

If ever I am in the area I will pay them a visit. Interesting stuff, very primitive stuff by todays standards.

John.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 2:25 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: QI programme last night.

Be aware that Bletchley Park is two separate things. The national museum of computing and the codebreaking section are things you have to pay for separately.

Why can't they just be one?

David
Old 11th Mar 2017, 6:01 pm   #5
mole42uk
Nonode

Politics.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 11th Mar 2017, 7:26 pm   #6
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I spent two days there. One in the code breaking section and one in the computing section. Fascinating displays in both parts
Old 11th Mar 2017, 8:10 pm   #7

While in the area don't forget the Milton Keynes Museum, great for kids (of any age) it has a large hands on telephone section (the old BT museum I think). In fact the whole museum is hands on (a delightful experience).

I am lucky to be only an hour or so away (on the motorcycle, any excuse for a ride) and tend to visit both PB and MKM a few times a year. The annual pass tickets for those make it even more worthwhile.

Closed Thread