UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2017, 5:18 am   #1
Yarraman
Tetrode

Default HMV Electric Gramophone

Just wondering if anyone knows something of this Gramophone? I'm assuming its about 1935/36 vintage? I was given it with an open circuit coil (in the pickup), which I managed to repair, it has a magnet and a coil with the needle passing through the centre of both. I believe the needles are called "Thorn Needles" ? as they are smaller (10mm long) than the needles used in Acoustic Gramophones. I need to source some needles as I only have three left in a packet.

Ive also done a quick drawing of the wiring, which shows the pickup coil is fed to a step up/impedance matching transformer, which then outputs to the gram input of a Radio/Amplifier.

Anyone seen one of these before? or knows a little more? i'd be interested to know.

I've made a video of it working, though the speed was a little too fast !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPWtAbQowZU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	145146   Click image for larger version

Name:	MotorBoard.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	145147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Needle.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	145148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pickup.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	145149   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV Schematic.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	145150  

Old 26th Jun 2017, 5:23 am   #2
Yarraman
Tetrode

Default Re: HMV Electric Gramophone

I forgot to mention that its in a Bakelite Cabinet , which after cleaning a polishing, came up quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bakelite Cabinet.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	145151  
Old 26th Jun 2017, 7:29 am   #3
ianm
Hexode

These were fairly common here in the UK and they do turn up now and then. What's particularly interesting about yours is that superb bakelite case! I have only ever seen wooden ones.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 26th Jun 2017, 8:23 am   #4
lazythread
Pentode

Hi, I have a similar wooden cased version, the pickup is a "lightweight" model, which takes miniature push-fit needles.

I had problems getting needles and the Columbia 99 type springs to mind. Very soft tone needles are thin enough to fit, but need cutting to length. It was 20+ years ago so I'm speaking from memory. Sadly I'm not aware of any new production of the minature steel needles, but you might be lucky to find some sapphire long play ones. Columbia 99s do crop up.

Good luck.

Last edited by lazythread; 26th Jun 2017 at 8:28 am.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 8:29 am   #5
Yarraman
Tetrode

thanks for that information guys, I thought I might have a problem getting needles.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 8:44 am   #6
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazythread View Post
Hi, I have a similar wooden cased version, the pickup is a "lightweight" model, which takes miniature push-fit needles.

I had problems getting needles and the Columbia 99 type springs to mind. Very soft tone needles are thin enough to fit, but need cutting to length. It was 20+ years ago so I'm speaking from memory. Sadly I'm not aware of any new production of the minature steel needles, but you might be lucky to find some sapphire long play ones. Columbia 99s do crop up.

Good luck.
I believe that this HMV 'lightweight' pickup is postwar. Certainly, HMV were still including it in their early 50s 78 only deluxe radiograms while the rest of the world was embracing LPs. It should give a decent performance with a limited bandwidth tailored to 1940s vintage 78s.

Incidentally, thorn needles are the one type that won't work in a needle armature pickup - they need to be magnetic . Steel needles still seem to be readily available online, but as you say, may need to be cut down to suit. A Dremel cutting disc should do the job.

Martin
Old 26th Jun 2017, 9:42 am   #7
PsychMan
Octode

I have the same arm and pickup in a 1946 Marconiphone unit, except mine has a rim driven turntable and AM radio.

They are push fit needles, search for "Hmv Silent Stylus". Alleged to last 120 plays I believe - I wouldnt want to test that theory!
They do show up on ebay from time to time. What you can also use as a test is the sapphire tipped needles like this:

http://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?m...ducts_id=18586

Slightly wider diameter body but fitted into the pickup without forcing. I wouldn't use it on any record I cared about however just in case.

I found my units coil was in good order, and was actually very small with a lot less turns than you typically see in earlier pickups. It did also have a transformer between it and the amp.

I often look for such machines and can also confirm never seen a Bakelite model like this, good score!
Old 26th Jun 2017, 10:50 am   #8
electrogram
Heptode

I have seen a few of these, the bakelite cased ones I have seen were all badged Columbia
Old 26th Jun 2017, 5:17 pm   #9
RojDW48
Nonode

I have a Columbia (Viva tonal, Grafonola) rim drive player with what looks like the same bakelite case - I wonder if they were churned out by a third party and filled with assorted mechanisms - Columbia, HMV etc? I eventually abandoned hope of the original arm and cart and fitted a Decca arm with a good old Ronette cart from an otherwise useless deck - it's a great 78 player.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 11:37 pm   #10
Yarraman
Tetrode

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond

Regards
Richard
Closed Thread