UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2017, 1:28 pm   #41
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Grease

Similar to "Kilopoise" presumably.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 1:44 pm   #42
Radio Wrangler

Rocol is the manufacturer, '

Kilopoise' is one of their trademarked products.

"You What!" is the response to the price of a jar

David
Old 19th Jun 2017, 1:55 pm   #43
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Ah, that makes sense.

At least some enterprising person's decanted tins into small phials available for a few quid on eBay now.

N.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 4:34 pm   #44
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Many years ago I added Molyslip in the differential and steering box of my A35 van to reduce the wear. I have some left wich I have used to stop seizing of things like drill chucks. One drop is used neat, it seems to last forever with no obvious liquid present.

I used to service talking books for the blind which often had worn or seized motor bearings. The lubrication experts at work recommended Chromatap as the best lubricant around but I never found anything which would last long in a poor sintered bearing, the shaft always got worn.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 4:43 pm   #45
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
You might have to import this stuff, but many USA based jukebox experts recommend this as perfect for Rockola Mechs (not to be confused with the standard 3 in 1):

https://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

Apparently it recombines well with existing dried out graphite grease, which is what the mechs used originally. I've used it myself and found it very good.

Though, another SAE 20 oil may do just as well.
This sounds like medium machine oil. 80% 20/50 and 20% baby oil will be pretty close
Old 19th Jun 2017, 8:15 pm   #46
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

"Copper grease" should be avoided on rotational bearings - it's abrasive.

Are we talking about phosphor-bronze 'Oilite' sintered-type bearings? If so then these are best *oiled* rather than greased.

The bearing is porous, a bit like a sponge. If you can push the bronze bush out of its housing, soak it in petrol/acetone/brake-cleaner for a few days to remove the age-congealed lubricant, then blast it dry with compressed air and soak it in *thin* oil [3-in-1 or 'sewing-machine-oil' are good options] for a few days to to relubricate it.
Old 20th Jun 2017, 9:43 pm   #47
Michael Maurice

Thank you all for replying, I've been away for a few days which is why I didn't respond earlier

I bought a tube of this from RS and have been using it on the 'sliding parts' of the deck.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 11:40 am   #48
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
For a number of years I've been using LM2 Multipurpose grease lithium based manufactured by Carlube

However I've had two record players come back after 3 years where the turntable is running slow because the grease has dried up on turntable bearing.

Can anyone recommend a grease that is more suitable and reliable for repairing record decks?
I wonder if the same result would happen with a manufacturer like Castrol. I have tins various types of Castrol grease which must be over 20 years old and the contents are still soft, although the oldest tin shows signs of oil separation.
Mike
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 11:59 am   #49
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post

I wonder if the same result would happen with a manufacturer like Castrol. I have tins various types of Castrol grease which must be over 20 years old and the contents are still soft, although the oldest tin shows signs of oil separation.
Mike

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...07&postcount=8
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread