UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2017, 10:42 pm   #1
Vakito227
Hexode

Default Impedance converter for prewar loudspeakers

Hi all. I have recently bought a Marconi loudspeaker from the late 20s / early 30s and I understand these old speakers have a very high impedance of around 1500 ohms compared to the single digits of today. I remember seeing about an impedance converter that converted an 8 ohm signal into a 2000 ohm signal but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Does anybody know where to find one of if anybody has any circuit diagrams so I could make my own?

Thanks
Peter
Old 20th Jun 2017, 11:08 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Impedance converter for prewar loudspeakers

What are you driving it with (what sort of amplifier)?

For low power, audio signal transformers with 8 ohm secondaries are here (you'd run it backwards).

http://www.mouser.co.uk/Passive-Comp...mer+2K&FS=True
Old 20th Jun 2017, 11:39 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

Horn loudspeakers are pretty efficient, so (depending what sort of amplifier you are using) you may get fairly decent results just connecting as-is!
Old 21st Jun 2017, 9:02 am   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Impedance converter for prewar loudspeakers

Hi,
I'd be inclined to just use the output transformer from a scrap valve radio and connect it 'in reverse'.
In the far off days of my misspent youth I ran a modern low impedance speaker from a 1920s wireless using the frame transformer from an Ekco TV.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 21st Jun 2017, 12:37 pm   #5
Vakito227
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Horn loudspeakers are pretty efficient, so (depending what sort of amplifier you are using) you may get fairly decent results just connecting as-is!
Sorry should have stated it is a moving coil speaker very robust built to last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
I'd be inclined to just use the output transformer from a scrap valve radio and connect it 'in reverse'.
In the far off days of my misspent youth I ran a modern low impedance speaker from a 1920s wireless using the frame transformer from an Ekco TV.
The speaker has an output transformer built in and has instructions to connect the input sockets to different terminals on the transformer depending on if the input is above or below 1500 ohms
Old 21st Jun 2017, 2:44 pm   #6

Bypass the transformer, i.e. simply connect the 'speaker proper to the source. It won't matter much if the original transformer is still in circuit.

Old 21st Jun 2017, 2:47 pm   #7
Hartley118
Nonode

If it's a moving coil speaker unit, the voice coil itself is unlikely to be of high impedance, but is probably 3 or 4 ohms. Can you access the connections to it and connect it direct to your amplifier to save doubling up on transformers? The internal transformer will sit quite happily in parallel - just leave its high impedance primary floating.

Martin
Old 21st Jun 2017, 5:14 pm   #8
Vakito227
Hexode

Yes, it's possible thanks
Old 21st Jun 2017, 11:42 pm   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

I was once given a high impedance 1920's BTH horn loudspeaker. I think they were intended to be connected directly in series with the output valve. I found that I could get it to work by using a transformer from my odds and ends box that had 600Ω and 3Ω tappings, 600Ω to speaker, 3Ω to the loudspeaker output of my EL3302 cassette recorder. I still have the transformer, but not the speaker. If it is a high impedance speaker, I wonder if a transformer for a 100V line might work?
Closed Thread