UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2017, 7:41 am   #1
Chenleine
Retired Dormant Member

Default Want to fix a vintage computer without a DS1287 Real Time Clock

I want to reanimate an a old vintage computer, the IBM PS/2 55SX.

The dead component is the DS1287 Real Time Clock (in particular, the battery inside).

Is it possible to simulate with a BASIC Stamp micro-controller the behavior of a DS1287 so that I can boot my old IBM PS/2 55SX?

The DS1287 pin are damaged (I mean current can not flow between the broken DS1287 and its socket) so I can't modify it, to use another battery.

Attachment 142514
Old 13th May 2017, 10:19 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Want to fix a vintage computer without a DS1287 Real Time Clock

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Did you intend to post a link to an edge connector?

Your attachment is invalid.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 13th May 2017, 12:11 pm   #3
kellys_eye
Octode

The device is pin-compatible to the MC146818A which itself is available via Digipart - if you can't get the DIP version you could get the PLCC version and solder it to a suitable converter PCB.
Old 13th May 2017, 2:20 pm   #4
cmjones01
Nonode

I'm afraid a BASIC Stamp wouldn't be fast enough to work as a substitute for a DS1287. While keeping the time is no problem, the DS1287 and its equivalents have a parallel bus interface which operates too quickly to emulate in software. You could do it with a CPLD, but there's no point when so many equivalents, like the (once) industry standard MC146818 are available. Adding your own battery backup shouldn't be too painful.

Chris
Old 13th May 2017, 11:02 pm   #5
hysteresis
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenleine View Post
The DS1287 pin are damaged (I mean current can not flow between the broken DS1287 and its socket) so I can't modify it, to use another battery.
Pins 16 and 20 are not damaged. They were bent up to connect to the internal lithium cell, prior to encapsulation. You can gain access to those pins by simply filing/grinding away a small amount of the plastic case on the side of the DS1287, at the pin positions. Please see:
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm

Alternatively, there are some cheap DS1287 RTC modules (presumably clones) listed on eBay - from as little as US $1.86 each, including shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...fLoc=2&_sop=15
Closed Thread