UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2017, 10:54 pm   #1
poppydog
Banned

Default Touching up worn rexine

I am trying to clean up a couple of Roberts transistor radio cases that have the red rexine type material on them. I thought about using a dye on them but changed my mind as thought it a bit extreme as I don't think they warrant it, so opted for some red cream instead. I've thoroughly cleaned it with decosol leather/vinyl cleaner. I have a couple of issues, one is where the material is worn the cream doesn't seem to want to colour the worn bit, the other is what can I use to fill one or two thin gouges that will also take colour? The pictures show the door of an RT1 and you can see what's happening, after the cream is applied the wear and the gouges appear to be black, I have even tried touching up with a red marker pen then applying the cream, but no change. There is a little more wear around the top next to the clear Perspex so I need to try to get this to look something like it, I don't want it to be immaculate (nor do I want the toytown look). Please see pictures, although they look worse in real life...

Regards
Poppydog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170412_210641.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	140881   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170412_210748.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	140882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170412_210856.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	140883   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170412_210956.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	140884  
Old 13th Apr 2017, 9:06 am   #2
alanworland
Heptode

Default Re: Touching up worn rexine

I had similar worn areas on my early Roberts and it seemed to disguise quite well with red shoe polish, can obviously still see it if you look properly but to the untrained eye!

Alan
Old 13th Apr 2017, 9:27 am   #3
FIXITNOW
Octode

you can get a kit for Leather Vinyl Repair Rips Holes etc from on line auction about £4
and then mix the colours to get the shade you need I have tried this, getting colour match can be hard
Old 13th Apr 2017, 10:29 am   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Really, you're a bit up against it with this, because the cost of a repair kit will exceed the worth of the sets.

It's one thing if you're trying to repair damage to leather upholstery on a 30 grand 'Beemer', but quite another on a run-of-the-mill radio of no great value.

Apart from that, the blemishes in your pictures are consistent with normal wear and tear, but if you can't live with that, you can get leather repair kits where you have a basic colour - red for example - and tints are included to darken or lighten the shade to get an exact match, and you can finish it gloss or matt. Not cheap, but as you've found, cheap 'n cheerful methods tend not work too well.

Here's an example of a red leather repair kit for BMW upholstery:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-Leathe...-/381664210543

Hope that helps a bit, but probably not.
Old 13th Apr 2017, 2:09 pm   #5
GeoffK
Heptode

These may be suitable, it depends on how much you want to spend on it. One is a spray for the whole cabinet, the other a touch-up pencil.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pai...inyl-paint-red

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Vi...YTIYjrTs1X9ahg
Old 13th Apr 2017, 5:18 pm   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

I use acrylic paint mixed with PVA adhesive. The mixture is thick enough to fill deep scratches, and missing bits.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 12:20 am   #7
fetteler
Octode

Perhaps something like this for around £6 from China??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Leathe...kAAOSwrklVYpM1

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 6:59 am   #8
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
I use acrylic paint mixed with PVA adhesive. The mixture is thick enough to fill deep scratches, and missing bits.
Seconded - acrylic paint works very well on this sort of thing. I've never tried the PVA admix, but it makes sense.
Closed Thread