UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2017, 11:18 pm   #21
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Best Browser for an ancient PC (Windows 3.11)

Going back to 1995, I first used the World Wide Web at home on a 486DX2 66MHz PC running Windows 3.11. I was using CompuServe to access the internet. US$10 per month for up to 5 hours' use, not including telephone charges, which were long distance from here. They supplied their own software called WinCIM (Windows CompuServe Information Manager) and Compuserve PPP (point to point protocol) to make the dial-up connection. The web browser they supplied was called SPRY Mosaic (based on NCSA Mosaic). This was very basic and already becoming out of date at the time. CompuServe also gave their members an allowance of webspace and free Home Page Wizard software to create their own web pages, which I used. Interestingly, the Home Page Wizard allowed pages to be created with features like background images, which CompuServe's Mosaic browser did not support. So you could create web pages, but couldn't see exactly how they would look unless you used another more advanced web browser.

You can see the pages I created here: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...mepages/hamid/

CompuServe eventually offered a more advanced web browser (Netscape I think) until Microsoft forced them to offer Internet Explorer instead. Otherwise Micrsoft threatened to remove the CompuServe setup icon from Windows 95, which would have discouraged new members from signing up.

I'm sure you can still find an old copy of Mosaic, Netscape or Internet Explorer 3 or 4 from somewhere on the Web. Perhaps you could even see my archived web pages as they would have looked 20 years ago when I first uploaded them. Back then, Google didn't exist. It seems unbelieveable now.
Old 15th Mar 2017, 3:17 pm   #22
Zelandeth
Heptode

I was a relatively late mover to Google, my preferred search engine was Alta-Vista for a long while. I only jumped ship when the are started to become intrusive.

I'll certainly give those archived pages a look. Got a few versions of early Is saved here, just need a quiet evening to have a play around with it.
Old 15th Mar 2017, 5:13 pm   #23

You lot are making me feel old, Winsock ah memories!

Old 22nd Mar 2017, 4:01 pm   #24
whyperion
Hexode

I certianly ran netscape/ IE5 on 486 series, dont know if they work too well on a 386 but I have some old computer shopper discs and IE 5 install disc I could burn to a USB drive for you
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 5:35 pm   #25
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Do it properly - use a line mode browser on an ASR 33!
Closed Thread