UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2015, 11:28 am   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Removing corroded cells from a torch.

Hi,
Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section.
I have in my possession at the moment one of those high quality American 'Maglite' torches which has been left with dead cells in it (It wasn't me, your Honour!). At least one of these has corroded and is stuck inside the body of the torch. I've tried to soften the leaked stuff with meths, 3in1 oil, heat and swearing, but nowt will shift it. There's a circlip (without holes) holding the lamp holder in place, but I can't get the br out! Otherwise I could have driven them out from the 'business end'.
I thought about driving a large woodscrew into the base of the cell to pull it out, but I'm not sure if that will make a bigger mess. Oh well, it's no good as it is, so I've nowt to lose!
What does the team think?
Cheers, Pete.

Last edited by Tractorfan; 10th Dec 2015 at 11:34 am. Reason: Extra worms.
Old 10th Dec 2015, 12:17 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing corroded cells from a torch.

I think you might find that hot water would help, most of the constituents of dry batteries are water soluble. You could try putting it in the dishwasher.

Peter
Old 10th Dec 2015, 12:41 pm   #3
cmjones01
Nonode

I'd be a bit wary about putting a Maglite in the dishwasher. The very alkaline environment created by the dishwasher detergent is quite corrosive to aluminium (which is why aluminium saucepans don't go in the dishwasher - they come out black). If there's any damage to the finish of the Maglite, the dishwasher might make it worse. It might be worth it if it gets the battery out, though!

Chris
Old 10th Dec 2015, 12:44 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I have to say that when this happened to my 2xAA Maglite, I gave up. It seemed beyoned repair in several ways.
Old 10th Dec 2015, 12:48 pm   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

When this happened to my 3xD Maglite, after various failed attempts I ended up putting it in the lathe and poking a D-size drill bit in the end. It was only seen through to completion because we refused to be beaten by some corroded D-cells!
Old 10th Dec 2015, 12:49 pm   #6
paulsherwin

If all else fails, drill them out. Nothing to lose.

As Nick says, it's probably a lost cause though.
Old 10th Dec 2015, 12:49 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'm impressed, Lucien!
Old 10th Dec 2015, 1:02 pm   #8
terrybull
Octode

How about trying white vinegar. It is very effective at removing the corrosion from battery terminals.
Old 10th Dec 2015, 1:04 pm   #9
Hartley118
Nonode

I have a similar problem, only mine is in a rather precious marine sextant with the battery that operates a lamp. The swelling of the cells locks them in very effectively!

Without dunking the whole instrument, hot water doesn't seem to penetrate far enough to dissolve the corrosion.

Frustrating that this leaking battery problem is still with us - technology doesn't appear to have progressed in this area..

Martin
Old 10th Dec 2015, 1:33 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
I'd be a bit wary about putting a Maglite in the dishwasher. The very alkaline environment created by the dishwasher detergent is quite corrosive to aluminium (which is why aluminium saucepans don't go in the dishwasher - they come out black).Chris
Never seen that. Mine come out extremely clean. Probably etched that way..... do wonder a bit about possible health hazard from the pan afterwards, though.

Nothing to lose by drilling the cell multiple times at about 4mm and having a good poke. Some of Nick's day job tools might help with the extraction
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Dec 2015, 2:49 pm   #11
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Dealing with stuck pistons/valves in aluminium castings (air brake assys), similar size to batterys in a Maglite, I've had good results by putting the affected parts in an old pressure cooker, cook on full pressure for half an hour or so, just water, no chemicals, then chill the cooker under a cold tap to relieve the pressure suddenly, has worked everytime for me, usual disclaimers apply..
Old 10th Dec 2015, 3:08 pm   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Remind me of that method if you ever invite me to dinner!

Dish washer powder does strip ally, some worse than others. Believe its caustic. ( as is the comment above! )
Old 11th Dec 2015, 3:25 am   #13
FrankB
Heptode

I would suggest either a flat wood bit or a spiral wood bit in a hand brace to get them out.
Possibly the screw end on a dent puller. (I have been too busy to deal with the problem any further. Very common problem hereabouts too.
I have one that was Jillians' and its got the same problem.
I thought of a nice charge of black powder, :P but that might make the flashlight somewhat unuseable afterwards.
Old 11th Dec 2015, 3:51 am   #14
joebog1
Banned

As its already bug*ered why not try bicarb soda, same like yo missus puts in cakes ??
I use it for corroded radio battery terminals and they come out shining.
Same like you do when your car battery when it ages grows green crystals on the negative ( ) positive ( terminal)
Anyway its a master cleaner that doesnt "eat" anything except the oxides.

Joe
Coupla tablespoons in maybe a cup of water, HOT water if its really caktus!!.
Old 11th Dec 2015, 4:39 am   #15
majoconz
Heptode

Have you managed to get the bulb holder/switch assembly out? Pull off the rubber cover over the switch button you will see a hole down the switch - there is an allen screw down there that has a point which just bites into a dimple in the case - back it out a couple of turns and it should come out forwards - after you've taken off the lens of course. Then you can find a suitable round bit of wood and tap/hit/force the batteries out the back end. How do I know all this? Bl***y Duracells!
Old 11th Dec 2015, 7:22 am   #16
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
The very alkaline environment created by the dishwasher detergent is quite corrosive to aluminium (which is why aluminium saucepans don't go in the dishwasher - they come out black). Chris
Don't know what it is that the UK uses for DW detergent, but here in Godzone aluminium pots and lids come out of our dishwasher looking like, um, sparkling clean aluminium.

I've never seen or heard of aluminium going black in a dishwasher, but I guess it might depend on the brand of detergent you use. A point of difference here might be that we don't use our DW as a waste disposal, so we rinse all food off pots, pans, plates & cutlery etc first, then use a short wash program to finish the cleansing, sanitising and drying.

Cheers

Billy
Old 11th Dec 2015, 10:27 pm   #17
MrElectronicman
Heptode

There is a discussion on stuck batteries in a Maglite on the Antique Radio forum. One way to remove them is by driving a screw through the battery and pulling it out.

I would be careful of using chemicals as they might attack the finish on the torch.