UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2006, 6:58 pm   #1
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Smile FM television sound DF generated with a PLL

Good evening,

I made some thaughts about FM TV sound because I am not satisfied with my variable reactance modulator. Its linearity is better than a varicap modulator but not perfect. It has a frequency drift that is not acceptable, if the thing is used to agline a receiver.
A perfect linearity between deviation and sound signal is only given by using a RC VCO. The best frequency stability by a XTAL controlled VCO.
I did not find anything to guide me building a FM-PLL. Do you know where to find something? All I found was about narrow band FM and VXO devices that are multiplied to the output frequency.
There are two reasons for me to make a quasi parallel sound system.
First the TV set is an intercarrier type thus the phase noise of the vision carrier is compensated.
Second the output channel must be switchable between the OIRT channels R1 and R2.
I decided to use the 74HCT4046 to generate the 6,5MHz sound difference frequency.
The idea is to FM- modulate its VCO directly with the sound signal at pin 9 (VCO in).
By dividing the frequency modulation as much as possible (I used 25KHz) FM is changed to PM at the low frequency. This makes sure that the PLL does not lock out.
I don’t know how it is done in IC modulator applications. Is it done in the same way or is there a better way to gererate FM with a PLL?

Kind regards,
Darius

Attached the schematic of the FM PLL some pics how it looks and the schematic of the old reactance modulator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schaltung Ton DF PLL 6,5MHz.png
Views:	110
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	3742   Click image for larger version

Name:	6,5MHz FM PLL DF 13.5.06.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	3743   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIRT Modulator Innenleben 13.5.06.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	3744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schaltung Modulator 6,5MHz FM Tonteil.png
Views:	131
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	3745  

Last edited by oldeurope; 13th May 2006 at 7:05 pm.
Closed Thread