UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2017, 12:55 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default GRUNDIG TK23 -loose motor pulley

As thread title. Was given this ancient beast to look at, chassis as TK14/18/27. Motor turns but pulley is loose on shaft.

I have discovered that the problem was probably initially caused by a distorted/cracked zinc alloy pulley /idler which, as it had expanded, shoved the motor pulley over to one side when attempts were mde to use the m/c. Will post a wanted note in due course.

There are no visible allen screws, just a coiled spring around the lower part of the shaft. What am I missing ?! TIA

Last edited by ben; 7th Jun 2017 at 1:03 pm.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 1:20 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: GRUNDIG TK23 -loose motor pulley

One way clutch, spring wraps tight on shaft in one direction only.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 4:05 pm   #3
peterpiper
Tetrode

Hi Ben I broke up a TK18 recently and I've got most of the pulleys etc. Anything you need just ask. I've got a complete coupling spring and motor pulley, your spring may have broken in the middle. FOC, just postage. Only possible fly in the ointment may be that yours is a 2 speed TK23, mine was a single speed TK18, the motors may be different.

Peter.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/a...1&d=1496847619

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/a...1&d=1496847619
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4320.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	144117   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4321.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	144118  
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:13 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Thanks for the responses, and to peter for the kind offer of spares - I will send you a PM as this machine is missing a few bits. The most important item is the damaged idler though.
It is single speed 4 track - I think it the TK27 might have been dual speed. That pulley looks different though, this one has no fan blades.

I suppose that to reattach the spring I will have to take the motor out or possibly the supply spool table, as I cannot gain good access to the spring. Will keep fiddling.
Old 13th Jun 2017, 11:58 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Managed to push the spring up onto the brass pulley using flat bladed screwdriver and pliers, machine on test now. Take up spool table seems to be riding a bit high.
Closed Thread