UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2017, 7:35 am   #1
jascha
Hexode

Cool Sony WM-DC6 headphone jack/ speed issue

Hi, I happen to have 2 Sony WM-D6C walkmans, both with an issue an require some help please to try and fix them. The first one has an issue with its headphone jack and is very wobbly and the no sound is coming out of the jack. I looked at it years ago and don't think it's just a question of resoldering contacts. I believe the jack is faulty. Where can I start to look for a replacement for it or perhaps if anyone knows whether the same jack type was used on other walkmans and can source a replacement by searching under a different model number? So far I had no luck finding one.

The issue with the 2nd one is a fault with its speed! Unfortunately I made the mistake of plugging in a 9v DC supply believing that I have always done that but infact needs just a 6v supply and after a few seconds using it it shot up in speed. I am not quite sure whether the fault happened because I plugged in a 9v supply or reversed polarity as my power supply plug came off during use and by mistake reversed the pins on the plug. Stupid mistake! Anyway I looked online and it seems that possibly the speed control IC601 is probably gone kaput! In the meantime I ordered another but it's worth asking you guys if you had a similar experience and know if it might be another fault with it. It will be a tricky job replacing that IC but have already in mind how to go about it and very carefully resolder a new one. Many thanks

Last edited by jascha; 7th Jun 2017 at 7:46 am.
Old 7th Jun 2017, 8:43 am   #2
kevinaston1
Hexode

Default Re: Sony WM-DC6 headphone jack/ speed issue

Good morning.

According to the service manual, the headphone jack is part number 1-507-929-11, but a quick web search says it is no longer available; perhaps a member may have one.

As for the speed, without some voltage measurements, it is impossible to say. The dc input first hits the dc converter CP304, pin 3 should have 10.8V on it. If this has survived, the motor speed control is done by IC601, a CX20084, and Q601, a 2SB1063.

I can scan the service manual for you if it helps.

Kevin
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:40 pm   #3
Goldieoldie
Octode

Hi,
It's nearly always the speed chip.The normal reason it gets blown up is by plugging in a modern ps which is neg earth.This deck along with a lot of Sony gear of this era is pos Earth
Cheers Pete
Old 7th Jun 2017, 10:51 pm   #4
jascha
Hexode

Cheers guys,
I shall do some measurements one of these days and in the meantime I have ordered the chip. I am pretty confident it's the chip from what I read online. I have found a PDF of the service manual so I am ok with that thanks.
It's going to be trickier sourcing a headphone jack for my second machine me. I will post an update once I have some results and definitely make sure that I always connect them with positive earth always!
Old 8th Jun 2017, 12:22 am   #5
bobreel
Triode

Just a thought, why not buy a used cheapo walkman and rob the earphone socket from that. Failing that maybe Maplins might have something suitable.
Old 8th Jun 2017, 6:49 am   #6
jascha
Hexode

The problem with that is they don't all fit anywhere due to their pin configurations. The only way that might work is to mount it upside down and hardwire it kind of. I would say it's thoughts in progress at the moment
Old 8th Jun 2017, 8:52 am   #7
saxmaniac
Heptode

The servo ic used to be available on eBay for £10 or so. It's doable but fiddly as so small. Magnifier or watchmenders glass needed as you must check you haven't bridged a contact. If you do that first and get it running then pm me and I will have a look among my stash and probably come up with a Jack socket. That's the least of your problems! Beware of the fine wires dropping off the board as you disturb it as you won't easily see where they came from.
Old 8th Jun 2017, 9:00 am   #8
jascha
Hexode

Many thanks for your help. As the headphone jack is the issue with my second machine I would take up your kind offer please. I will pm you once I take the jack off the recorder to confirm it's the jack and not the contacts on the board. I have ordered the IC on eBay and am waiting for it to arrive. My watchmakers 25x mag glasses are ready and will make up a very fine tip for my 12w soldering iron and slowly get the IC out pin by pin using some sort of pin to lift up each leg. The other thought I had was to use a dremel tool to finely cut each leg of the IC close to the main body of the chip and then clean the leftovers of each track with a soldering iron and then solder the new IC in place. I shall be super careful and have done micro surgery on a DTC-77es DAT machine that was destined for the trash after suffering corrosion from leaky caps. It's back to life .
Old 8th Jun 2017, 9:49 am   #9
Goldieoldie
Octode

Hi,
The easiest way to get the chip off is to use quikchip
If you google you will find all the info on it.Great stuff!
Cheers Pete
Old 8th Jun 2017, 10:41 am   #10
jascha
Hexode

Hi everyone,
I did some measurements and so far I measured everything as detailed on the schematic. I get 11v or so on pin 3 of the converter, so that's ok. I checked if voltages are ok on the IC 601 and I do get 5.36v on pin 15. All other voltages seem also ok on the chip. The transistor seems ok as well as I get 2 readings of around 860 on testing between two pins at a time. No other readings in any other combinations. The only problem though is that the output voltage to the motor is 6v rather than what it should be of around 2.4v or so. Is the fault therefore with the transistor or the IC please? Many thanks
Old 8th Jun 2017, 1:06 pm   #11
saxmaniac
Heptode

I think you can assume it's the ic. I don't think you've got room enough for a dremmel but lift pins carefully. Print is easily damaged and don't try to rush!
Old 9th Jun 2017, 9:54 am   #12
jascha
Hexode

Wink Re: Sony WM-DC6 headphone jack/ speed issue

This morning with huge patience and determination I succeeded to remove the chip, heating gently pin by pin and lifting each pin away from the board, just one pad sadly lifted partly but it's an easy task to do a very fine operation and add a tiny jumper. I now await for the chip to turn up and solder it in place and hopefully voila. The next task would be to remove the headphone jack from my other deck and try to fix that one. One job at a time though

Ps: thanks GoldieOldie for the suggestion. Will have to get some of this stuff one day but so far doing any repairs on smds is quite a rarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7202.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	144191  
Old 9th Jun 2017, 8:40 pm   #13
saxmaniac
Heptode

Do double check the soldering to the headphone jack as dry joints happen due to movement. The socket relies on just the soldered joints for fixing
Closed Thread