UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Old 10th Oct 2017, 4:16 pm   #41
ex 2 Base
Pentode

Default Re: Large inductor lathe wound to a spec?

I suggest you contact a local Model Engineering club, where you might find some one who will do the screw cutting/helix for you FOC. Drop along to your local library they usually have the details of all clubs in your area or contact the Model Engineer magazine editor, I think she would pass on a message for you. No point in sending a length of pipe up and down the country. Once set up its not a big job.Ted
ex 2 Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2017, 5:11 pm   #42
mole42uk
Octode

If my lathe were larger I’d happily have a try.

The workpiece would need accurate setting up between centres rather than in a chuck but that’s not too difficult a task. With the changewheels I have, cutting the required groove is possible. Making a tool to cut a half-round groove isn’t too hard.

Thinking further, if you don’t get an offer from someone with a big lathe, there may be a way that I can set it up on my Drummond Roundbed, they are clever little machines!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2017, 8:51 am   #43
mark_in_manc
Heptode

If you can't find someone to do the whole job, I can do the turning bit for you, but not the winding bit, I think.

There's a big lathe at work which will handle the tube. You'd need to tell me thread pitch, depth and form (BSW? UNC? ), and about how long (and what tune do you want on it? Oh no, that's for a thread on Edison phonographs). I'd turn more grooves than you need. There's even a yard near here where I recently bought a scrap length of that brown pipe (which was white on the outside, it had been laying around outside so long) for almost no money, to make something else - which might save you sending the tube here. I have an offcut / could repeat the microwave test.

I could do that in a lunchtime and be confident I'm not going to mess your job up or land myself in a time-consuming corner. I don't have that confidence about the winding bit - I'd do it with my wire for my job, but I don't want to tell you I can do it and then it up or tie myself up for two weekends. Cost would be a few quid for my habitual charitable collection / extortion (Christian Aid are coming up for another of those DFID donation-matching things).

So this offer is only useful if someone with winding experience wants to take the second part on. If that person had a smaller lathe, that might still work if they pushed the tailstock might down to the far end, sat the toolpost next to it out the way, and got over the top of it (the toolpost) with an extended tailstock quill to pick up the end of the tube with a bung in it, with a centre. Then they could do their dextrous winding thing.

I'll bring a tiny offcut of the scrap tube home from work to play with in case you don't get a better offer, but I hope you do !

cheers
Mark
mark_in_manc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2017, 2:02 pm   #44
astral highway
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
If you can't find someone to do the whole job, I can do the turning bit for you, but not the winding bit, I think.
Thank you, Mark! That's very encouraging. Richard (above) is going to have a look to see if he can groove and wind as well, but at this stage, nothing is certain.

Richard, as a courtesy to you, shall we say that we'll wait until you've decided if you can and want to take this on? and then I can announce whether the problem is resolved or if I'm still looking for someone to do it?

If that isn't possible, I may very likely come back to you, Mark, to ask you to do the groove, although ideally I could tempt you to have a go at the winding, as well.

Please could I ask people to from now on only to post if you're interested and capable of doing the machining and winding.

Please no more suggestions for other ways to tackle the problem outside this forum. I'd appreciate it, it keeps the thread clear and on message.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 9:35 am   #45
astral highway
Octode

Just a quick update:

-Although there's no huge rush I do want to feel I'm making progress. If by the end of Friday , no-one announces being able to do the machining, I will change tactics.

-If it's ok by the mods, I can confirm that I will offer a nominal fee of 60 for the successful machining and winding. I pay postage and packing on top.

-If no takers I will drop the machining and produce a new spec which is much simpler, just to close wind the requisite number of turns using a lathe at around 15rpm. For that I will offer a nominal fee of 30.

-Once again , please post only if you are considering doing the work , and please drop me a PM too. I don't want people to waste their efforts.

-I'd like the work to be complete by the end of the first week of November.
Thank you folks
Old 12th Oct 2017, 4:15 pm   #46
astral highway
Octode

Further promising news: Richard (Mole42UK) has been in touch by PM to say that he and a friend are evaluating whether they can do the machining and winding, but it looks promising from this end!

I imagine either I or Richard will update the post as soon as there's more to say.

I just love this forum and how amazing it is at putting people together across space and time!
Old 13th Oct 2017, 12:20 pm   #47
astral highway
Octode

Hey folks, especially David and Ed,

Do you know if the grey 110 mm dia waste pipe is as RF heating non-reactive as the brown we've discussed? It's no big deal , only if it has the same properties it means I don't need to send a sample to Richard. Somehow I think it is ordinary PVC and not as inert.

Thank you
Old 13th Oct 2017, 6:19 pm   #48
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Al, brown stuff is for underground. Grey for above ground and presumably it has a UV resisting additive. What effect this may have I'm afraid I have no idea.

Ed
Ed_Dinning is offline   Reply With Quote