UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2008, 10:09 pm   #1
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

Default Whistling Dansette.....

Chaps,
Little Dansette Touriste car radio - circa '64, hence authentic for the old Bond Equipe.
Works ok if long aerial connected, but on car aerial or short length it whistles and howls, less so when on station but plenty on either side.
Could it be f/b through the power rails ? Should I try a few extra grounding caps for rf/if ?
Have always ignored this kind of fault before, but this set needs to work on the car aerial ofcourse !
Advice welcome Pip pip JM
PS: The set uses one of those screened & packaged mixer/tuner/demodulator units, like the radiograms, so I guess the agc circuitry is buried therein...
Old 25th May 2008, 10:19 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Whistling Dansette.....

IF/RF stages - capacitor problems at a guess. I guess it's transistorised, but the same applies. De-coupling caps in particular.

Open the can, change all the caps, reseal and try it!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:01 pm   #3
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

S
Thanks for the help
Cheers JM
Old 26th May 2008, 4:33 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

I can't help but I didn't know that Dansette made car radios! Learn something new everyday! Good luck.
Chers de Pete.
Old 26th May 2008, 8:20 pm   #5
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi, some car radios have an aerial trimmer adjustment hidden behind the tuning knob. Pull off the tuning knob and you may find a small trimmer to adjust. Cheers, Malc.
Old 26th May 2008, 9:19 pm   #6
Tom_I
Heptode

That's a very good point. With the advent of pll synthesiser tuners, etc., it's all too easy to forget that you used to have to adjust a car radio to match the aerial being used.

Sometimes the trimmer is on the back panel, rather than under the tuning knob.

Methods of adjustment vary, but in the absence of any explicit instructions, tune to a weak station at the high frequency/low wavelength end of the medium wave, and adjust the trimmer for optimum reception. It can make a dramatic difference.

Tom
Old 26th May 2008, 11:18 pm   #7
GJR 11L
Heptode

Just a thought, and excuse me for stating something so obvious, but is the aerial earthed correctly, given that it will need to be connected to the chassis by a bit of suitable braid on a GRP shell?

Not the easiest of locations to get good reception on AM, a grp-bodied car. I know, I just don't bother trying to use the AM bands in my Rebel and that has a screening mesh laid into the roof panel. Don't bother doing that though, it isn't worth the resin down the neck for all the good it does!
Old 26th May 2008, 11:37 pm   #8
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I always optimized alignment for midband on Long and Medium Wave

BG
Old 26th May 2008, 11:43 pm   #9
Steve_P
Dekatron

Me too. But alignment after fixing faults, please. It only takes one De-coupler to turn an IF amp stage into an oscillator.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 27th May 2008, 11:59 am   #10
Tom_I
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGmidsUK View Post
I always optimized alignment for midband on Long and Medium Wave
Quite so, but I wasn't talking about full alignment. The externally-accessible trimmer control found on a lot of car radios was meant as a final adjustment, after the radio had been fully connected up, to optimise performance with the particular aerial being used.
Closed Thread