UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2014, 8:18 am   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default Identification of USA capacitors

I need to know the values of two USA Sealdtite capacitors in a 1940's Bestone radio. One is marked D 1 200 and the other is 05-400.
I am guessing that the 400 and 200 are voltage ratings but I would like to be sure of the uf. value.
I do not have the circuit for this radio, so if anyone can help that would be great. It is a four valve Bestone midget. two 6C6 valves, one 43 and one 25Z5. At the moment it looks like I will have to draw out the circuit myself but it will be hard to know if anyone has replaced parts incorrectly.
Mike.
Old 18th Sep 2014, 12:24 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Identification of USA capacitors

Given it's a valve set, my guess would be 100nF 200V and 50nF 400V. Less likely would be 1uF 200V and 500nF 400V.

You're unlikely to damage anything by trying wrong capacitance values, so try 100nF 250V and 47nF 400V types and see if it sounds OK. If it's tinny or unstable, try the bigger values.

Do you have any way to neasure the originals? At low voltage they should still be somewhere near their nominal values unless they've gone really leaky when they'll probably read high on capacitance.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Sep 2014, 12:56 pm   #3
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Chris,
I have also done the same question on the USA vintage radio site and they informed me that there should be a point before the figure one. I had missed that as the cap is covered with a film of dirt/wax and I was being careful not to obliterate the markings. So one is a 0.1 uf and the other according to the US guy is a .05 uf. They are quite large caps so I believe they are correct in what they tell me.
There are also two oblong black plastic (bakelite) covered resistors which had a colour code in three recessed holes, the colours now well faded but the two both measure same ohms, so I am not too worried about them at this point.
Mike.
Old 19th Sep 2014, 5:46 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Looks like guess #1 was right. (1000nF = 1uF).

Your description of rectangular things with recessed coloured dots sounds more like capacitors than resistors though.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Sep 2014, 9:41 pm   #5
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Chris. They are definitely resistors as they have type 302 resistor moulded on them. They are both 158 ohms so at the moment I am leaving them well alone. They were made by a NY co. by name of Micamold (Brooklyn).
Mike.
Old 19th Sep 2014, 10:40 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Interesting. Micamold also peddled a range of paper capacitors that looked like mica ones in that sort of encapsulation. I guess if it was the company name, they could get away with putting it (very confusingly) on those devices.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Sep 2014, 11:33 pm   #7
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Look up your radio on www.nostalgiaair.org/

John.
Old 20th Sep 2014, 7:44 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Doesn't help much- manufacturers go from Bendix to Blackhawk- no Bestone listed.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread