UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2017, 11:36 am   #1
boombox
Pentode

Default Faint audio on 741 wall telephone

So, per my previous thread where the last problem I had was having was NU tone when lifting the handset I realised I HAD stupidly strapped T3&T4 instead of T4&T5! D'oh!! Anyway that's resolved now.

The problem I am now having (seem to be solving one, finding another!) is that the audio is very faint through the earpiece. Before I try to source a replacement speaker, is there anything else that could be causing this?

The telephone otherwise seems to work as it should.

Thank you!
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 12:42 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Faint audio on 741 wall telephone

It's certainly possible that the receiver is faulty but it's more likely to be a wiring fault.

This is the clearest diagram I'm aware of: http://telephonesuk.co.uk/documents/...STRUCTIONS.pdf Check yours against it carefully, including the connexions on the back of the dial. I still sometimes get the D1 to D5 in the wrong order so somebody else may have.
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 2:06 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

It's also worth checking that the "dial off normal" contacts are opening with the dial at rest. This can be done by comparing resistance across T1/T2 and T3/T10 with and without the dial moved from its rest position.

I once had a dial where the cam that opens the contacts wasn't resting in the correct place, meaning that the dial was registering as off-normal at all times and shorting out the insets in the handset. There was sufficient resistance in this circuit to allow a small amount of current still to pass through the receiver to give a faint signal.
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 2:22 pm   #4
boombox
Pentode

Thanks Dave. If that is the problem, what would my options be then? That would begin to sound more complicated than I was bargaining on!
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 4:56 pm   #5
els1967
Pentode

You would need to adjust the dial so that the cam that holds open the contacts is in the correct place when the dial is at rest. The third pic down show it in it's correct position when the dial is at rest, holding the contacts open. The cam is labeled switching lever.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/tel...%20b5125.htm#4
Old 9th Aug 2017, 12:13 am   #6
boombox
Pentode

Just checked - it looks like it was a quiet receiver. I swapped it with a receiver from a spare 746 and normal volume restored. Thank you all for your help.
Any ideas on where to buy a replacement receiver? eBay doesn't seem to have any?
Old 9th Aug 2017, 12:30 am   #7
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Hi, Is this any good?

Regards
Trevor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAG-OF-RAN...0AAOSwySFZhcK8
Old 9th Aug 2017, 1:12 am   #8
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I don't think I've got one in stock but even if I had it'd cost nearly as much in postage as one of these: http://telephonelines.net/index.php?...ls3a2d71arb5r5
Old 9th Aug 2017, 4:56 am   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The normal problem with these receivers (4T) is a dry joint. Not an electrical connection, but the mechanical joint between the armature and the pin that connects to the diaphragm. If you can open it up, it's easy to resolder it.

The problem is opening it up. You can carefully file the rim that's formed over to hold it together, take off all the terminal nuts and spacers, and take the cover off. Then just re-solder the joint. The cover will be held on when the receiver is put back in the handset.
Closed Thread