UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2017, 11:27 am   #61
radioredcat
Hexode

Default Re: DX TV 1st viewing for 2017

There has been no SPE activity on band 1 or any other band either now 10 days since I last had any signals on band 1.

Andy
Old 15th Jul 2017, 2:45 pm   #62
SteveCG
Nonode

No DX for me for the last few days either.

A speculation: I wonder if anybody has detected TV signals reflected from the International Space Station?

It's orbital height above the sea is about 250 miles and since it is quite a large entity there may be a chance ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern..._Space_Station

NASA have a web-page for when the ISS can be seen for any particular location:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings

Happy DXing !
Old 18th Jul 2017, 9:53 pm   #63
1955APREN
Hexode

After a few days with no dx , today from 15:08 to 15: 40 utc a small opening on
59Mc/s with very quick fade . A Logo in top right corner possible the crown of
Jordan . When first seen a man with microphone in hand possible singing later
program changed to lady and man dressed in robin hood type colthing.At the same time very weak SSb could be heard on R1 with just a very small trace of line snyc but no video. Did any else see this opening.
Regards Derrick
Old 19th Jul 2017, 1:58 pm   #64
radioredcat
Hexode

Hi Derrick yesterday and today has seen some activity on the bands at last anyway yesterday I had signals on R1 pictures would have been good but Hams were active wiping out R1.
Regarding the logo you saw Jordan is on E 3 55.250 and as yet no one has seen it this year so on R 2 59.250 the only two logo's that could look like a crown on a noisy picture is (M 1) Moldova and is a transparent logo so hard to make out and Telekanal 1+1 which also has a transparent logo (1+1).

I have had pictures from Russia 1 and Telekanal 1+1 both on R1 and they here as I type thankfully Ham activity is low today.

Andy
Old 19th Jul 2017, 11:19 pm   #65
1955APREN
Hexode

Thanks for all that info To day at 15:30 i recived a r1 station but could not id it as
singal was fading in /out very fast. My set is manual tuned making it hard to know what ch I am receiving. I also have nikkai 10 in DV3-t but this set does not
resopnd to dx signals very well possible due the fact that it as DSP . If the dx will last long enough I will try to get photo
Kind regards
Derrick
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 10:50 am   #66
SteveCG
Nonode

This morning from switch-on at 9:05 BST until about 10:15 BST - R1 present, occasionally R2. Also the 50.275 Mc/s 'beacon'? signals - but not all the time.
Old 26th Jul 2017, 12:53 pm   #67
radioredcat
Hexode

There has been some activity on band 1 but no good video until the evening of 24/07/17 when Russia 1 from Glubokoye came up with very good video then 1 TV St Petersburg started to come in but soon went.

I have uploaded a video of this thankfully no Ham activity so nice clear video.

https://youtu.be/j-CxvsHFWzc

Andy
Old 26th Jul 2017, 1:26 pm   #68
SteveCG
Nonode

FYI: I mounted my first attempt to detect signal reflected of the ISS. This was at 10:13 PM BST last night. There was not too much cloud so I could confirm visually that the ISS was passing over. I was listening out on the R1 vision carrier frequency and also the 50.275 Mc/s beacon signal which I've frequently received during SpE openings. Unfortunately for me nothing detected. However I intend to continue at other 'user friendly' pass times !

Since I used to receive ROI Band III TV reflected of high-flying aircraaft from the Kippure and Mt Leinster transmitters, then if there any analogue Band III TV left, there could be a chance on Band III.

The older forum members may remember the Echo 1 and Echo II balloons that were put into low earth orbit in the early 1960s for transatlantic communication experiments predating Telstar...
Old 26th Jul 2017, 3:21 pm   #69
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post

The older forum members may remember the Echo 1 and Echo II
The Daily Telegraph published the times when it was visible in the weather column.

Today, 60 years on, most people I speak to aren't even aware that you can see man-made objects in orbit with the unaided eye.

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 27th Jul 2017, 3:33 pm   #70
SteveCG
Nonode

Graham,

Yes, I remember the timings being published and seeing the ballons. As for visible objects, well if you live where there is a darkish night sky you might be surprised just how much low-earth-orbit stuff there is up there. It is quite a problem for Astronomers who are trying to make long exposure observations of a celestial object(s) or worse a large area sky view. They end up with streaks across the images.

Last edited by SteveCG; 27th Jul 2017 at 3:34 pm. Reason: added info.
Old 7th Aug 2017, 1:09 pm   #71
SteveCG
Nonode

All rather quiet on the SpE DX front for me - just cosmic noise.

However a question (the answer to which I've tried looking for on the Web without convincing sucess):

Morocco used to have an E4 transmitter at Laayoune according to the 1995 WRTH and EBU listings. I presume that this has closed down by now as part of the move to digital TV, but I can't confirm this. Can anybody answer it please?
Old 7th Aug 2017, 6:51 pm   #72
radioredcat
Hexode

Band 1 has been quiet with little activity here.

Regarding Morocco analogue closed in 2015 according to the link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...ion_transition

Andy
Old 8th Aug 2017, 12:51 pm   #73
SteveCG
Nonode

Thank you Andy. A useful web-page. Reading it then we may still have Russian Analogue TV until some time in 2019.
Old 9th Aug 2017, 11:35 am   #74
radioredcat
Hexode

Yes Steve Russian ASO was supposed to be 2018 but looks like being longer which is good.

When Belarus analogue went off air 04/01/16 I received it the day before 03/01/16 it couldn't have timed it better.

https://youtu.be/GaMDQfrU9Sw

Andy
Old 9th Aug 2017, 12:56 pm   #75
G4YVM David
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Today, 60 years on, most people I speak to aren't even aware that you can see man-made objects in orbit with the unaided eye.
This is also my experience...terribly sad. I pointed out the ISS to a colleague once and she flatly refused to believe it was what I said it was.

D
Old 9th Aug 2017, 1:09 pm   #76
SteveCG
Nonode

Given the time of year I've reduced my DX listening to those times when the ISS is above my horizon. My logic is that if the ISS can be simulaneously above the horizon for both myself and on the horizon of a distant TV transmitter, there is a possibility of a detectable reflection.

Many factors are at play here - including the reflecting/scattering area of the ISS at the desired frequency, its orientation and the fact that most TV transmitters beam their signal to their local horizon to get the desired TV coverage. If I had radio eyes I suspect the ISS would 'twinkle' rather like a polished diamond in a light beam.

However I've not yet detected anything above the Cosmic Noise floor on either R1 or R2 video carrier frequencies, so I may be on a hiding to nothing. But 'nothing ventured nothing gained' eh ?
Old 10th Aug 2017, 9:30 am   #77
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

It might be a good idea to monitor both R1 and R2 over the coming days and nights as we near the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. Apparently there could be up to 100 meteors per hour between 11/08 and 13/08.
Best time to see them is between 2300-0400 looking NE. From this direction it might cause reflections from the more northern Russian band 1 stations.
Old 11th Aug 2017, 1:09 pm   #78
SteveCG
Nonode

Simon,

Yes, I agree for seeing the meteors visually but for radio-type observations the best times are possibly mid-morning. The logic runs like this: If you look where the Perseus constallation is in the sky you will discover that for typical UK latitudes, say 51.5 deg N, most of the Constellation does not set at all - it is circumpolar to use the language of Astronomers. It certainly gets very low in the northern sky, at about 6 pm GMT at this date in the year and is the highest in the sky at about 6 AM GMT. So the advice on when to see it is determined as much by when the sky is dark as where it is in the sky.

If you happen to have the simple but very handy astronomical aid called a Philips Planisphere then all becomes clearer.

I tried listening out this morning between 10 AM and 11 AM BST on the R1 and R2 vision carrier frequencies but did not notice any meteor pings. In past years using exactly the same system I've heard many a ping (don't forget meteor events happen all the time - it is just you get more at certain times of the year when the Earth's orbit around the Sun intersects the orbits of the meteor trails left by comets).

So I am most interested to see if I hear any at all - as I've not heard a ping in many months of listening, notwithstanding the reception earlier of R1, R2 and 50.275 Mc/s signals. The 50.275 signals could well have been due to SpE, but the R1 and R2 signals

Last edited by SteveCG; 11th Aug 2017 at 1:11 pm. Reason: grammar
Old 12th Aug 2017, 2:36 pm   #79
SteveCG
Nonode

I've been listening on R1 (0, -ve offset), R2 and 50.275 Mc/s for any activity caused by the Persids - so far no joy.

The times (all BST) were approx 9 PM to 9:15 PM on Friday the 11th
and on Sat the 12th
7:05 AM to 7:20 AM,
8:05 AM to 8:20 AM,
9:05 AM to 9:20 AM,
10:05 AM to 10:20 AM

I'll try listening later this evening.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 11:04 am   #80
radioredcat
Hexode

I have seen TV carriers via MS but only weak affairs no chance of seeing any video from them and band 2 has been similar lot's of pings just no strength in them.

Andy
Closed Thread