UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2012, 10:09 pm   #1
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Default Belling heater.

Hi all,

It's been a long time from I last posted on here .

Well a friend brought this round tonight. It's a cylindrical heater of some kind made by Belling. I know nothing more than that.

Would any of you know when it was made what it's use was? Is it a heater for in the house or in a greenhouse?

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto0578.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	70394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto0579.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	70395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto0581.jpg
Views:	1704
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	70396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto0583.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	70397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto0584.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	70398  

Old 4th Sep 2012, 10:14 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Belling heater

Probably a domestic heater from the '50s. People used paraffin stoves that looked similar, I think it was a natural progression.

Peter
Old 4th Sep 2012, 10:45 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Belling's original purpose was manufacturing cooking appliances, including paraffin stoves (the 1920s KJ series).

The electric versions appeared in the 1930s and remained in production at least until the 1950s, with a break during WWII.

I think I'm right in saying the shells of the electric versions were actually made by Aladdin, at least in later years, with Belling electrics installed.

The model shown in post #1 looks like a model 91A (curly feet). It should say on the dataplate underneath. I believe the name "Champion" was generally applied to the range of upright heaters. They were intended as domestic heaters but, of course, could be used anywhere indoors - power supply permitting. They're not really capable of cooking or boiling, unlike similar paraffin stoves, but will simmer or keep hot something already cooked or boiled elsewhere. Not a good idea though, for obvious reasons, as many people discovered to their detriment.

In England, at least, they still turn up occasionally in antiques centres and at car boot sales in varying states of dilapidation and dangerousness.
Old 4th Sep 2012, 11:46 pm   #4
murphymad
Heptode

These are excellent heaters. I have several different sized ones in service.

They are relatively low wattage, they produce an even and constant heat that rises and diffuses around the room.
They are also very safe in use being a verticle chimney.
I have never yet knocked one over as the base plate is heavy and I have one running in my workshop from the first feel of damp in perhaps October unitl I can no longer bear the heat and have to turn it off in April or May each year.
It keeps everything dry and free from any signs of damp and also supplies background heat.
My workshop is 45 feet long by 11 feet wide and 8 feet high so this gives you an idea of what they can do if left on for long periods.

I would suggest if you are going to put it into use that the internal wiring be replaced with fire/heat resistant cable ( all of it!) and a modern 3 core silicon rubber mains lead is fitted.

Also every bit of dust should be cleaned out and better done with a strong compressed air line.

Keep the area under the heater clean and free from fluff.

It is already more than 50 years old and I would expect it to do another 50 at least !

I suggest you change the bulb for an amber or red pigmy as the one you have makes it look like a room lamp rather than a nice comforting warm glow.

Mike.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 12:07 am   #5
teetoon
Heptode

Hi, I've got one of these. It is a "Champion" as Darren says and mine is a 92A 1500 watts when full on as the switch says. It's been in the family since my Dad brought it home in the 60's. Don't know where it came from but it wasn't new then. It used to have an orange pygmy bulb for illumination but looks a lot nicer with a "Fireglow" bulb as you can see. One of my brothers once used it to melt stuff in a biscuit tin on the top! I still use it occasionally in the winter time for a quick warm up but its mountings for the elements are quite rusty now and I'm sure there'll be a big bang one day.

David.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	70402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	70403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	70404  
Old 5th Sep 2012, 12:40 am   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, the 92A had much more substantial feet. Others, like Scott's, had those curly feet which would bend if the heater was subjected to rough handling and the damn thing would wobble about.

I think the 92A was larger, wider trunk, but it's difficult to tell from the pictures. Perhaps, if he gets a chance, Scott can tell us what's on the dataplate; wattage and model number confirmation in case I'm wrong.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 2:18 am   #7
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Mine doesn't have a dataplate on it as the bottom is just a wire cage. The heater isn't that heavy.
The heat from it is nice. I will be changing the wiring at some point with iron flex as it would look nicer then the more modern types of flex though it seems hard to get now

Thanks for the info so far, it's very interesting.

I have seen the oil ones many times at work (I work in a auction house) and have always thought about getting one but never got round to it.

Though being into antique and vintage electronics this is more suited to me.

Scott
Old 5th Sep 2012, 8:07 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

My 82 year old mother in law still has two on the go. I think they are 1940's but I will have to pay them more attention. I've always assumed they were an electrical version of the pot bellied stoves featured in Nissen Huts.
Dave W
Old 6th Sep 2012, 7:47 am   #9
raditechman
Heptode

I have a Belling No.83 heater. Had it from new and use it every winter.
John
Old 6th Sep 2012, 8:30 pm   #10
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've never noticed the curly feet before. I have a few here in regular and not-so-regular winter use, 1500 watt (92A) and the smaller 750 watt (91A) but all with cast base and feet. There are several assorted paraffin heaters on the premises too, but it's a while since I made much use of those.
Old 19th Sep 2012, 1:48 pm   #11
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Belling heater

Hi,
I've got one of those heaters that I rescued from the hospital I used to work at over thirty years ago. I was surprised at how efficient it was and it's never given any problems. Very simple, very effective.
OK, I admit that it's still got its original rubber flex, but it isn't perished at all. It used to have an MK switched plug on it, but I changed it when we moved here.
I knocked it over once and it tripped the RCD so I assume the element bounced briefly against the side.
Cheers, Pete
Old 17th Mar 2013, 1:02 pm   #12
morris6263
Retired Dormant Member

I have seen one of these Belling heaters, which has had the wire cut off, on the market and is being sold as a garden ornament. I really liked it, but was wondering whether there is likely to have included asbestos as part of its manufacture. Does any one know?

Thanks.
Old 18th Mar 2013, 9:35 pm   #13
Stubble
Pentode

Hi
I have just got one of these heaters.

I've stripped it down to clean it and it does not have any asbestos parts that I can see, very simple unit.

Lee
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 12:37 am   #14
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've become even more of an enthusiast for these since discovering models older than the familiar 91A and 92A. A No.79 - very small, unswitched and without illumination - has been in use here for a year or so, I've lately acquired and rewired a 1500 watt No.82, and an example of the still larger No.83 is on its way. Only recommended for use where it can be taken for granted that nobody untrained in respect for electricity will venture, as these models use quite an open wire mesh at the top and underneath, but given that reservation they're a delight, heavier than the later versions as only the cylinder is of sheet metal, top and bottom being castings. They're also easier to get free of dust as the top assembly lifts off after a couple of bolts are removed. Whereas later models sometimes warn "Do Not Cover", these, wisely or not, were intended for use with pan or kettle as desired, as Charles Reginald Belling's 1941 patent 536820 describes and illustrates: its seven pages are available to view or download at http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...m&locale=en_EP .

The two photos show an 82 with its chimney removed and its underside, less protective mesh, after partial rewiring (bulb removed, flex grip currently floating). There's been no asbestos in any of the models I've encountered. The patent includes reference to optional thermostatic control, but I've yet to come across any evidence of an actual Champion thus equipped.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010721sm.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	115974   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010722sm.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	115975  
Old 25th Nov 2015, 4:44 pm   #15
Brigham
Octode

In my view, the best portable electric heater yet.
Old 25th Nov 2015, 5:45 pm   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Agree! Very safe, ideal for the elderly or infirm. J.
Old 26th Nov 2015, 10:35 am   #17
newlite4
Octode

I found mine in a skip at work 30 years ago, people must be mad!
Image of Belling Champion taken from the Belling Heating and Cooking catalog of 1960/61.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0048.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	116087  
Old 26th Nov 2015, 1:50 pm   #18
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Ah, thanks, now that's most interesting. I had noticed that no late models ever turn up larger than the 92A, and had guessed at a lack of demand for heaters rated above its 1500 W. It hadn't occurred to me that as evidenced here they just went on making the old No.83 with its 1940 style and heavy castings top and bottom: hence the leap in this catalogue from a 1500 watt heater weighing 6.5 lbs to a 2250 watt one (? - can't quite read the figures on the scan) of 18.5 lbs.

Paul
Old 27th Nov 2015, 6:06 pm   #19
Paul_RK
Dekatron

And after saying above that I've never met asbestos in one of these, the next Champion to come my way, an 83A dating I'd guess from the late '50s, has some. The asbestos-insulated wiring seen here looked pretty stable, but for full peace of mind I've replaced it: the mains lead and wiring to the bulb were in brittle rubber and had to go too. It's probably ready now to outlast me before needing much further attention, except I'll see about coming up with a more appropriate bulb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010727ax.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	116131  
Old 28th Nov 2015, 9:36 pm   #20
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

That looks an ideal opportunity to use some modern high-temperature Silicone-jacketed cable, preferably with a load of the little 'fishbone' tubular-ceramic beads fitted over the cables at the highest-temperature points.
Closed Thread