UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2010, 7:46 pm   #1
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Default Help! Broken coil needs repair

Hi,

My beatiful Armstrong wireless has gone on the blink on short wave. It started crackling furiously and now it doesn't crackle and short wave gain is right down. I have removed the coil pack and a check with an AVO showed that the HT coil in the output if the HF amp was open circuit. I removed the coil and sure enough BOTH ends of the coil have broken at the ends of the coil.

Now comes the problem. For various reasons I am incapable of either rewinding the coils or attempting to reterminate the leads. The coils are simple enough, with only a few turns side by side one coil wound on the bottom of the other. Because of the severe crackling, I am concerned that there has been some shorting between the primary and secondary because it looks very black in that area. I can think of nothing else that might cause BOTH ends of the coil to part.

Is there any kind soul out there with reasonable eyesight and without the shakes who can mend my coil please?

The primary coil is the one which has broken and it is very thin wire, fabric covered. The secondary is thicker wire which is wound in a machined spiral in the former. I am quite happy to pay for the work to be done as the Armstrong is my pride and joy.

In the attached cct (close to mine) the broken coil is the top one following the RF amp and as can be seen has HT on it.

TIA,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RF103-1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	32169  
Old 31st Jan 2010, 8:40 pm   #2
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Help! Broken coil needs repair

If it is a case of not being able to wind it physically I am only up the road from you and could probably do it for you if you have the wire.

Dave
Old 31st Jan 2010, 10:34 pm   #3
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Help! Broken coil needs repair

David, You have a PM

Ian
Closed Thread