UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2015, 10:22 pm   #1
toms9248
Retired Dormant Member

Default Stopping other phones from ringing when one is picked up

Hi,

I have had a GPO 8746 rotary phone (which I shall refer to as the old phone) for a while but I have a problem that needs a bit of explaining.

When I receive a call both the old phone and a newer corded phone with built in answering machine and 2 cordless handsets (the new phone) will ring. If the new phone is answered all the ringing around the house stops and I can chat in peace. If I leave the new phone to ring for a while and answer it when the answering machine kicks in (the old phone stops ringing at this point) again all the ringing and the answer phone stop and I can talk.

However my problem is when I answer the old phone, the new phone will continue is to ring for a while but not as long as it takes for the answering machine to start. Also if I answer the old phone when the answering machine has started I can talk to whoever phoned but the answering machine still records in the background.

Is it possible to stop the new phone from ringing/stop the answer phone as soon as the old phone is picked up? I can't find any information about anyone else who has this problem.

Furthermore I have recently acquired a GPO 332 that used to belong to my great granddad and I intend to restore that so would it be possible to avoid this issue with two rotary phones.

Having read back what I have just written it seems like very long winded explanation to a simple problem.
Any help is greatly appreciated,

Tom
Old 1st Sep 2015, 6:18 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Stopping other phones from ringing when one is picked up

Surely as soon as you pick up the 8746, it will loop the line and this will get the exchange to stop sending a ringing voltage. Traditional phones only ring when they get the ringing voltage (it powers the bell) so will then stop ringing.

My guess is that the new telephone uses the ringing voltage to trigger an electronic ringer, but completes that ring 'cycle' even if the ringing voltage then disappears. In which case there is little you can do about it.

Once the answering machine has started it will continue until it gets no audio to record, etc. Once it has started it too will loop the line removing the ringing voltage, and nothing done from the 8746 will stop it.

Quick test : Get a cheap modern telephone, a dumb wired one (not some cordless thing, or one with a built-in answering machine, or). Costs about a fiver. Try that on the line. My guess is it will do the same things as the 8746.
Old 1st Sep 2015, 8:11 am   #3
JacKam_
Pentode

I guess it is normal behavior. BT switched the line to "talk" mode. Answering machine did not recognize the voltage drop when you picked up the old phone and keeps on recording.

Last edited by JacKam_; 1st Sep 2015 at 8:37 am. Reason: Different point of view.
Old 1st Sep 2015, 8:47 am   #4
dagskarlsen
Heptode

I guess Tony had the answer. I hove stopped using modern phones with external power supply, but when I used a wireless it rang for about 1 full ring after answering on another phone. I have no solution for you :-(

dsk
Old 1st Sep 2015, 9:51 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacKam_ View Post
Answering machine did not recognize the voltage drop when you picked up the old phone and keeps on recording.
As far as I know, few (if any) answering machines look for a voltage drop caused by further telephones making a loop. Lifting the handset on a machine with integral telephone is a different matter.
Old 5th Oct 2015, 11:18 pm   #6
Otari5050
Pentode

I have seen phones (specifically cordless/handheld) which continue to ring long after the line is seized by another device.
TonyDuell is correct. These phones have a 'ring timer' which causes the ringing pattern to start once ringing voltage is detected.
When the ringing voltage stops, the timer keeps the ringer going.
It's quite annoying and I don't see any really useful purpose for it.

Of course if you answer the line using this phone the ringer is stopped, because the base knows the call has been answered.

The simple option would be to mute the ringer on that phone and just use the bells on the other phones to alert you to a call.

As for the answer machine still recording when you answer on one of the other phones, most answering machines don't recognise the drop in line voltage by a distant extension picking up. Therefore they continue to record.

I have seen some answering machines that do recognise this, and they promptly cease recording.
If you hunt around you may be able to find one.

Last edited by Otari5050; 5th Oct 2015 at 11:23 pm.
Closed Thread