UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2014, 11:49 am   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default Avometer 8 Mk 5

I have an Avo meter 8 mk 5 here that needs repair. I would like to repair it if at all possible, as it was the one I used at work for many years, until some bright client blew it up. I claimed the remains and it has been in my loft for several years until now.
Both of the flimsy printed circuit "ribbon" cables need replacing for a start. Is it possible to do away with these and hard wire it as per earlier meters ? Are these point to point or do some tracks cross over as per computer cables ?
The movement is free, but does not seem to have any damping. In other words, the needle takes a long while to become stationary, if the case is rocked. Is this electrical damping and do the batteries need to be in place for this to take effect ? One other point, the printed instructions on the rear of the case refer to a 15 volt battery, but next to where that fits is a label reading FC No. 041603 8V, or is that just the serial number ? Thinking on, I have never heard of an 8 volt battery so the later is probably correct.
Perhaps this meter is past it, but a few sentimental reasons for getting it up and running again.
Mike.
Old 25th Jul 2014, 12:53 pm   #2
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: Avometer 8 Mk 5

Mike,

The printed film wiring can be replaced with conventional wiring. You will have to connect the individual wires to the stubs over which the film wiring was fitted, after it is removed. The wires can then be loomed neatly and the other ends made off.

Model 8s are designed so that the chain of shunt resistors are permanently connected across the movement shunting one quarter of the current around the movement. I.e. 37.5 micro amps for the movement and 12.5 in the shunt to make up the full 50 micro amps fsd. This contributes greatly to the damping and lack of damping usually indicates that something in the shunt chain is disconnected.

The number you quite is the serial number; the battery used for the high resistance range is the same as for other Model 8 meters. These can still be bought but the price induces many users to devise their own substitute as you will see in other threads.

PMM
Old 25th Jul 2014, 5:36 pm   #3
sparkymike
Octode

I need to know the layout of the small film cable which goes from main board points 4/5/6/7/8/9 to points next to the transformer ,as this is missing.A picture of the larger film cable is in in the manual, but not the small one.
Has anyone got one on the bench they could photo please. Mike.
Old 25th Jul 2014, 7:10 pm   #4
Vicboduk
Hexode

Mike,

You are in luck! I hope these help.

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO_Ribbon_1.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	95490   Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO_Ribbon_2.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	95491   Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO_Ribbon_3.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	95492  
Old 25th Jul 2014, 9:26 pm   #5
sparkymike
Octode

Thanks Vic, Just what I need to check things out and get it right. (but maybe not original !!) Some rainbow ribbon cable should do the job.
The main film cable has had three repairs so far, so I will have to check that out for continity. There is one component that is damaged and is a small thin white sqare about 7mm. wide. Any ideas what it was ? It is on the top of the small pcb next to the transformer. Hopefully this was not an AVO only component. !! There are three other similar ones on the same panel.
Mike.
Old 28th Jul 2014, 9:32 am   #6
sparkymike
Octode

further to my last post, it looks like the component I am trying to identify is a ceramic printed resistor. I need to know the value . It is the top one on the small square printed circuit board.(top when meter is inverted on the bench).
Mike
Old 28th Jul 2014, 2:52 pm   #7
Vicboduk
Hexode

Hi Mike,

I think the resistor you are referring to is R6. This will affect the 10Vac range.
By coincidence that is the problem with the meter I’m working on. Its value is dependent on which model you have, earlier versions it will be 7kΩ, later versions 800Ω.
In both versions this resistor is trimmed for calibration.
My meter is of the later generation and the fault was found to be R32 8.2kΩ o/c which is in series with R6. In my case R6 had been trimmed to 1.104kΩ.

Vic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AVO_Res_1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	95586   Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO_Res_2.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	95587  

Last edited by Vicboduk; 28th Jul 2014 at 3:11 pm.
Old 28th Jul 2014, 3:06 pm   #8
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Vic,
Thanks. Yes that's the little blighter !! Where did you find the information for that component ? I could not see it on the circuit in the manual. There is a component list of sorts in the manual, but a lot of parts are missed out.
My meter is serial no.is FC 041603 8V. Does that make it early or late production.? I suppose that I can just bridge that out with a similar resistor of like value value, until I have found the main fault.
Mike.
Old 29th Jul 2014, 1:41 pm   #9
Vicboduk
Hexode

Hi Mike,

It seems you are working from the user's manual. Use your favourite search engine and look for the AVO 8 Mk5 service manual. This contains some extra information.
As for the version you have I think "pmmunro" may be able to give you a more informed response.
After the 8V on the serial number there should be a date code this will help narrow down things a little more.

You could temporarily use a 10kΩ potentiometer, adjust for calibration, and measure the value then substitute for close tolerance fixed resistors.

Vic

Last edited by Vicboduk; 29th Jul 2014 at 1:50 pm.
Old 29th Jul 2014, 2:40 pm   #10
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Vic,
Thanks for advice. I was thinking along the same lines, maybe use a small preset pot. I would like to remove the large pcb to get a closer look at the film cable where it is soldered to the rotary switches. Do the two switch rotors lift off with the board ,or am I missing something here ?
I believe the Avo manual I downloaded is the service manual, but will check to see if there is a more comprehensive one.
Mike.
Old 29th Jul 2014, 5:34 pm   #11
sparkymike
Octode

I have progressed a little further forward I think, I had to replace three of the tracks in the main ribbon film. Two were os and the third looked as if it was about to fail. By removing the three 2BA screws on the main pcb it is possible to raise it a little and get a better view of the tracks and switch contacts. The switch rotators lift with the board, so no need to touch them.
While I have been doing this I noticed a small crack near the top edge of the second largest pcb, so I will have to remove that to get a better look see. I am due this Thurday for a cataract operation, so all being well and fingers crossed, I will be able to see round corners afterwards !!
So all the above would not have helped in the meter operation. This one has had a tough life, but may yet work again.
As a matter of interest, is anyone out there making new ribbon films for the AVO ?
Mike.
Old 30th Jul 2014, 4:38 pm   #12
sparkymike
Octode

I have been working my way round the circuit and all seems fine so far. I had wondered if the cut-out was faulty, but a check from the main neg terminal to the printed circuit shunt is ok. There is a test point shown on the drawing for the movement. Can this be located without any dismantling?
Regarding if this meter is early or late, the three pots are all 22K, so this points to a later model according to the circuit I have.
Old 30th Jul 2014, 5:32 pm   #13
sparkymike
Octode

Now found the movement tails. Red and black soldered to edge of main board marked on underside of board 2 and G. Manual quotes T. Am I on wrong point there?
I am reading 8.7K across those two points. Is that correct, or is moveemnt faulty?
Mike.
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 9:36 pm   #14
sparkymike
Octode

I urgently need a clear side view photo of the underside of the main circuit board showing the two wipers. Can anyone post one please.
Mike.
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 10:01 pm   #15
sparkymike
Octode

Well think I have found another problem among the many. See thumbnail. Am I correct in what I am thinking here ?
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AVO 8 Mk.5 003.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	95774  
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 10:32 pm   #16
pmmunro
Octode

Mike,

I assume you're thinking that there should be a contact channel on each arm of the lower wiper, other wise why are there two when there is only one arm on the top wiper?

It's a logical question, but there should only be the one contact channel which bridges between the inner tracks and the outer. There is also a one-segment offset between the top wiper and the bottom one on both switches. Viewed from the back, the lower wiper is one segment clockwise ahead of the top one.

PMM.
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 8:06 am   #17
sparkymike
Octode

Hi PMM,
Yes you got my drift exactly. Strange AVO did not use a similar arm as the outer one. Perhaps original intention was to fit a felt pad in the spare lower slots to clean the tracks thus balancing the arm and keeping the pressure even ?
A further reason that started me off on this blind alley was that there is a fine piece of wire stuck in one of the empty slots and I had assumed that was the remains of a spring for the contact plate. I will have to remove this with tweezers.
So I am back to the actual movement of which I would like to know resistance of the coil, as per a previous posting. I can then hopefully proceed. If the AVO is fixable I would like to do it ,but it is rapidly getting to the stage where I will put it to one side for future thought . I have a certain amount of patience, but that is rapidly depleting !!
Mike.
Old 19th Jan 2015, 1:48 am   #18
cantata
Diode

Hi Mike

You may find this service manual of use, if you haven't got it already!

Michael
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Avometer8MkV.pdf (1.68 MB, 632 views)
Closed Thread