UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 9th Jan 2024, 4:00 pm   #1
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Interesting book, Open Circuits.

Many of you may have already seen this publication, which I was fortunate to receive as a present.
Whilst much of its content will be known to some of us, its outstanding quality pictures are a pure art form!
There will be beginners in electronics who would find that these photographs help them to understand better the inner workings & construction of everyday electronic components.

Way back in the early 1960's when I was doing a college C&G course, we often had to describe the construction of such items as paper capacitors, resistors etc; this book brings both modern & older technology to life in amazingly detailed photographs.
I have no connection with either the autors or publisher, but can reccomend this book to those who wish to see the inside story of both passive & active components.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCbk res.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	290734  
Vintage Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2024, 4:24 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Interesting book, Open Circuits.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=195452
+ Video.
John.
Old 9th Jan 2024, 6:04 pm   #3
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Thanks John,

I'd missed that post. It really is an amazing book, & very interesting to watch the video. I've often opened up components to see how they failed, but not with such precision!

I had originally intended to purchase a copy from the RSGB, but they'd sold out. My wife very surreptitiously then contacted one of my sons, who gave it to me as a Christmas present, which was very greatfully received.

David.
Old 16th Mar 2024, 12:19 pm   #4
knobtwiddler
Octode

Worth a bump for those who might have missed this thread a while back. I only came across the book yesterday, as a friend at work has a copy. It's a thing of absolute joy if you're of a nerd persuasion. Here is the YT link from the other thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byKyJ0b04Lo

Where physics and art collide.
knobtwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2024, 3:22 pm   #5
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Agreed, definitely worth mentioning again.

The one that I received at Christmas was intended for me, but once un-wrapped, I had a real job getting it back from various family members, who are not 'nerdy' like me!

David.
Old 16th Mar 2024, 4:03 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

A friend brought his book around the other week, after a quick look I was convinced I needed a copy. I am now awaiting for my copy to arrive, should have been here today, maybe on Monday now.

John.
Old 18th Mar 2024, 10:16 am   #7
60136 Alcazar
Pentode

This looks like a good book to have.
In olden times (i.e. pre 80s) there was often 'Construction and Use' documentation for equipment and components/assemblies - a hangover from mechanical engineering, but allowing for a complete understanding of strengths and vulnerabilities.

Progress consists of doing what you've always done - just more expensively.
60136 Alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 11:36 am   #8
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

The book turned up about a few days late, well worth the wait. 300 pages information and excellent photos and illustrations. There must be over 150 different components covered. We use the components and just expect they will work (if sourced from a reputable supplier) never giving them a second thought. Something like the small bridge rectifier, the architecture of the wire leads inside the plastic package is very clever. How they ever got the Microprocessor SoC to ever work is amazing and use BGA to fix it to the PCB. Just enough information, not pages and pages of reading but as said many brilliant photos.

I should add, I have no connection to the book, other than a happy reader.

John.