UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2012, 11:13 pm   #1
stevekendal
Heptode

Default PP9 batteries for 50p!

Homebase in Kendal is selling PP9's at 50p. Discontinued stock and they are nearly 2 years past date, but the two I got today are showing 9.62 volts and so I may go back for more. They are Ever Ready Silver Series. Check out your local branch whilst the goings good Steve.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 1:51 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: PP9 batteries for 50p!

It could well be that this branch has discovered some stock hidden away and is selling it off. I'd advise anyone to check with their local branches before making a special journey.

These batteries do have a good shelf life in my experience.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 3:12 pm   #3
stevekendal
Heptode

Yes, they still stock these but they have loads past date. Oddly enough, the ones
On sale at £5.99 have a white sticker over the date code. Naughty!
Old 9th Feb 2012, 4:37 pm   #4
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

These are layer cell in there construction and for some reason these type of batteries seem to have a long shelf life, That said it depends how they are stored though. I can't believe folk are paying £5.99 for these as some shops near me sell Panasonic ones for £2.50, market stalls are also your best bet but be careful as these things get left out in all weathers. For my radios I just rebuild these batteries as it's cheaper. I do the same for PP7s. They too are expensive and only one shop sells these near me. There are plenty of PP9s to be had though, Wilkinsons sell these to.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 5:00 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

What you're prepared to pay for a PP9, which is the battery this thread's concerned with, depends upon where you are. Often it's cheaper and easier to pay, say, £5.99 than to travel any distance or use mail order.

A little shop literally seconds from my house sells PP9s for £3.99. I can go into town and get the same battery for £2.99 but that involves petrol and parking fees or a £3.40 return bus journey so I stick with the little local shop.
Old 9th Feb 2012, 5:23 pm   #6
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

I agree Darren but for me the shops that sell these cheap are nearby but for some the cost adds up when you have to travel. It does seem to depend on what area you live in though in some cases.
Old 11th Feb 2012, 4:47 am   #7
camtechman
Nonode

Those "Silver" PP9's are usually EVEREADY not EVER READY.
Old 12th Feb 2012, 12:59 am   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

There's quite a lot of confusion between Eveready and Ever Ready (or people just don't notice the difference); all current products from that outfit are the former whilst the latter and more familiar British arm, Ever Ready, is now defunct.

Steve says the batteries he came across were two years out of date, so it's possible they were the last lingering stock of 'proper' Ever Ready batteries. If I remember rightly, what Ever Ready called their 'Silver Series' were in fact red in colour, with the Eveready version being silver and black.
Old 12th Feb 2012, 11:15 am   #9
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

Spot on Darren, they were red metal clads. Some of my Silver Seal have a 1997 date on, before that they were blue with just a logo on and the words blue. The company was taken over by Energizer and became Eveready instead of two separate words. As a matter of interest they brought out a lightbulb range using the logo but it was a trade mark of Energizer and now Energizer have made changes to the licence so now it's just the word Everready on the boxes.

I have a silver label PP9 with a logo on but it's very small, now there's just Eveready silver, there mid range zinc carbons but they still do a gold range but not with the PP9. Shelf life varies depending how there stored because I still have the last red No8s made and there's life still in them but from experience I have found layer cell batteries do seem to keep longer, I don't think they ever produced an Alkaline PP9 unless anyone knows different.
Old 8th Apr 2012, 10:03 am   #10
Vectamart
Pentode

CPC still sell PP9 batteries for £2.98 + VAT; they are £2.72 if you order 10 at a time. PP7s are £1.85 + VAT singly or £1.69 if you buy 10
Old 8th Apr 2012, 12:57 pm   #11
camtechman
Nonode

Don't forget the P&P charge.
Old 8th Apr 2012, 5:44 pm   #12
michael cumming
Retired Dormant Member

PP7s are like gold dust now but Maplins do them but there not cheap, thats why i rebuild them but PP9s can be found very easy for around £2.50 either Eveready or Panasonic.
Closed Thread