UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2012, 3:53 pm   #1
Red Studio
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hawkins Boilette

Doing a bit of spring cleaning I found this at the back of a cupboard. I think I last used it in the late 80s and don't plan using it again but it's a nice curiosity.
It's basically a miniature kettle element which you lower into the drink to heat it. The glass and its plastic holder are original, I think. The plastic is shrinking and splitting in places - across the base and through the line of the handle.
The wire loop alongside the element is so that you can suspend an egg in water to boil it, or so I was told at the time.
"Switch off before removing from liquid."
Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boilette_1.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	64030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boilette_2.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	64031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boilette_3.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	64032  
Old 17th Mar 2012, 4:29 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Hawkins Boilette

Similar things were quite common at one time. A great aunt of mine always used to take one on holiday so that she could make a cup of tea. 12V ones are still made for camping, but I'm not sure the mains ones can be legally sold now.
Old 18th Mar 2012, 12:38 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

I've got one somewhere that's just a small kettle element with the coiled bit at the bottom of the two straight bits. At the top is a plastic handle a bit like the cover of an inline connector with a hooked bit on the side so you can hang the whole thing on the side of your mug.

Something like the picture, in fact, except that it runs on 220V not 12V!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	travel-water-heating-element.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	64060  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 6:46 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I'm told (though I've never seen one) that there was a device in the '20s or thereabouts which simply consisted of a pair bare electrodes connected to the mains, and which was lowered into a vessel of water to heat it
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 6:47 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

That's called an electrode boiler. Still widely used industrially.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrode_boiler
Old 24th Mar 2012, 9:19 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Some electric shower units look nastily like they run the water through a grounded or plastic can with a bare coiled bit of resistance wire in it 240V 30 or 45A fused!

David