UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2013, 7:54 pm   #1
Jonmurphy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Very poor reception. HMV 1127

Mentioned this radio before but thought this needed a new thread.

I have the above radio. After changing a couple of bits here and there and replacing all paper caps, it's now working. However reception is terrible. AM is quiet and faint with only a couple of stations being able to be received when holding the ferrite aerial. LW is just noise although Five Live can be heard faintly when touching the aerial.

All resistors check out ok on the multimeter.

The ferrite is a wax covered one with no signs of damage.

I'm waiting on a sig gen being delivered, although I've never done alignment before and don't really know what I'm doing.

So any advice on either the problem or the process of alignment would be greatly appreciated.
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:53 pm   #2
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Default Re: Very poor reception. HMV 1127

Alignment is not difficult, you just have to take your time and go through the steps in the correct order. You will need an analog volt meter to connect to the voice coil, or an oscilloscope, and a set of non-metal adjustment tools. It is also helpful to have a frequency counter to verify that the signal generator is outputting the desired frequency. Very small differences in adjustments are usually significant, but you will develop a feel for that as you perform more alignments.
Old 1st Feb 2013, 4:37 pm   #3
mike1 ryan1
Pentode

Hi,
I am waiting on a signal generator in the post and have not done it before so will keep an eye on how you get on, http://www.vintage-radio.com/project...indicator.html. This is a link to a project to build on here for an audio output meter, should be useful. Have bought the bits to build one, not much to it so only cheap.

Good luck,

Mike.
Old 1st Feb 2013, 5:14 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Any evidence of the cores having been twiddled?

If no, then do check other things first, e.g. cleanliness of the wavechange switch contacts, and the valve pins/sockets.

Nick.
Old 1st Feb 2013, 8:23 pm   #5
Jonmurphy
Retired Dormant Member

No evidence of tamper at all.

So I cleaned all pins and holders and the switch contacts. No improvement.
Old 19th Feb 2013, 2:18 pm   #6
Jonmurphy
Retired Dormant Member

After much fiddling with cores I seem to be getting somewhere.

Now have 5/6 clearish stations. Which is a big improvement on none.

Still not really clear though which leads me to suspect something else is amiss here. Also LW is slightly puzzling. It is supposed to be fixed on Radio 4 long wave, however the only station I can get is Radio 5 MW.

Does this suggest anything to anybody?
Old 19th Feb 2013, 2:21 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
LW is just noise although Five Live can be heard faintly when touching the aerial.
Might be worth checking for any o.c's on the ferrite aerials coils.

Last edited by camtechman; 19th Feb 2013 at 2:22 pm. Reason: adding quotes
Old 19th Feb 2013, 2:25 pm   #8
Jonmurphy
Retired Dormant Member

Five live can be heard clearly now.
Aerial coils are wax covered and undamaged.
Old 19th Feb 2013, 4:27 pm   #9
Bittyboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Any evidence of the cores having been twiddled?

If no, then do check other things first, e.g. cleanliness of the wavechange switch contacts, and the valve pins/sockets.

Nick.
In my opinion I agree with Nick as I once got a Roberts RM20 radio (MW/LW only) and I could not get any reception out of it no matter what, so I decided to take the back panel off carefully and saw a few box like things with adjustment screws in the middle of them, some had wax on them to lock the screws in the pre set position and some looked tampered with, after using a small flat bladed screw driver and turning those adjustment screws very slowly one direction or the other while the radio was going, hey presto! I began getting stations on MW and even on LW too! which was just very loud humming/buzzing sound before I tried those adjustment thingys.
Closed Thread