UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2014, 11:01 pm   #1
Alistair D
Nonode

Default RCD testing using an isolation transformer.

http://www.tortech.com.au/isolation-...or-rcd-testing

Can anyone shed some light on how these transformers are wired differently to a normal isolation transformer?

Al
Old 8th Apr 2014, 11:07 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: RCD testing using an isolation transformer.

That's a secret!

They carefully give you a schematic of what their transformer ISN'T, and give no info on what theirs IS. But they do say that it's very good.

I'd want to know a lot more than nothing before I'd trust my safety to it.

Bet all the snakes in their vicinity don't squeak.

David
Old 8th Apr 2014, 11:17 pm   #3
Alistair D
Nonode

Indeed David, I have spent a few hours searching the net for an answer with no luck. The various references to to this configuration all end in dead ends. It cannot be that difficult to work it out yet it beats me.

Al
Old 9th Apr 2014, 12:06 am   #4
Dekatron
Octode

Isn't it just a usual "Balanced AC power" design like the one in this thread: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...c-power-2.html where the center tap of the secondary winding is connected to common ground/earth?
Old 9th Apr 2014, 9:02 am   #5
GMB
Dekatron

Surely it just means that they have joined the N and E together on the outlet socket instead of either leaving E floating or joining it to the input earth.

I think the confusion here is that when they talk about "isolation transformer" they don't mean the thing with laminations and windings, they mean the whole unit in a box with flex and an outlet socket.
Old 9th Apr 2014, 9:18 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

It probably is, but they're not telling people what it is, and then expect those people to trust themselves to it.

I've got a few 'tool transformers' and their 55-0-55 output is not a secret.

David
Old 9th Apr 2014, 11:55 am   #7
RogerWalker
Hexode

Their circuit diagram [of what it isn't] looks decidedly dodgy and with the neutral earthed, would trip the RCD in my house for sure. None of it makes much sense to me - mirrors and quite a lot of smoke!
Roger Walker
Old 9th Apr 2014, 3:34 pm   #8
Alistair D
Nonode

A bit of background.

After a bit of discussion with a friend about the shock reduction risk of using an isolation when repairing AC/DC sets we concluded that the risk is back the non isolated level as soon as an earthed instrument is connected to the chassis. That led me think about adding a plug top RCD to the transformer output.

I tried connecting the N and E together on my MEGGER CBT3 and plugged it into the socket attached to the RCD. It would not trip at any current. I even tried a 60W bulb L to E(N to E still joined) The bulb glowed at full strength and no trip.
I did find this thread which agrees with my results.

http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/m...threadid=31769

The problem, as I see it, is that with N and E joined is that the current passed to Earth by the tester goes back the Neutral and thus no imbalance is created.

Dekatron; It would seem that that may be the answer although absolutely no use for a bench isolation transformer. I fact I would not call that an isolation transformer since both the L and N terminals have a potential of 110V above earth and I certainly would want to know about that.

Roger; Agreed. My main RCD tripped out when I plugged the modified RCD tester lead into a non isolated socket.

I still have a few ideas to play with and will report back later.

Two further points. The transformer's output earth is connected to the input earth.
The test button, as expected, works fine when the RCD is plugged into the transformer.

Al

Last edited by Alistair D; 9th Apr 2014 at 3:43 pm. Reason: Added further text.
Old 9th Apr 2014, 4:38 pm   #9
GMB
Dekatron

When running on isolated supply, the earthed test equipment does indeed create a shock risk when connected, and as you found an RCD doesn't help. This is a hazard of isolation and a reason to be very careful.

The explanation is clear: if you touch the isolated live in that situation the current flows through your body to physical earth, then up wherever the real mains earth is physically earthed, then back along the mains earth wire to your equipment, then into the chassis where that is connected and so completing the "correct" path and thus the isolated RCD is not interested to save you.

Specifically for testing RCDs, if the isolation transformer output joins N to E and the RCD is plugged into that then current that shorts inside the equipment between live and earth will trip the RCD.

The RCD test button always works because in order not to trip a cascade of RCDs it must in fact leak current from the live output to the neutral input and not involve the earth connections at all.
Old 9th Apr 2014, 5:34 pm   #10
dave cox
Nonode

If you were using a CT isolation transformer (120-0-120) to test an RCD you do not actually need to connect the CT to physical earth as you just need to bleed current from the RCD output to the CT and the device should trip as there is now a current imbalance. Other RCD's on the primary side see no imbalance so don't trip.

Nailing the CT to earth gives you 2 chances out of 2 of giving yourself a 120V shocks as apposed to 1 chance out of 2 of getting 240V. With no CT earth you SHOULD just pull one end down to ground with a tingle

dc
Old 9th Apr 2014, 8:00 pm   #11
woodchips
Octode

Try wiring the isolating transformer such that the live out goes to the RCD live in and the transformer neutral goes to the RCD neutral in. The sneaky bit is to then wire the earth from the test bench etc to the connection between the transformer neutral and the RCD neutral in. Now if a 30mA leakage exists from the live to earth then it goes directly to the transformer neutral, creating the 30mA imbalance in the RCD to trip it.

As GMB says, the test button doesn't trip all the RCDs in the series circuit. There must be a third winding around one leg in the RCD such that pressing the button simply puts a 30mA current through this winding and hence trips the RCD. Obviously it doesn't have to be 30mA, just has the same effect as 30mA. So, if you measure the resistance between the incoming live and neutral pins it will be infinity, pressing the test button will produce a low DC resistance. Could be just a few ohms, the extra winding will have impedance to AC, not to DC. Can't find an RCD to test, just theory at the moment!
Old 9th Apr 2014, 9:37 pm   #12
Alistair D
Nonode

Woodchips, the way a test button on an RCD plug works is by connecting a resistor between the input side of the neutral current measurement winding and the output side of the live current measurement winding. That way it will still work if there is an earth fault on the socket.

I will draw the circuit out tomorrow and try it out.

Al
Old 9th Apr 2014, 10:02 pm   #13
glowinganode
Octode

If I may, I'd like to offer this theory.
Imagine you are a bench electrical test engineer. Your bench is fed from a 30 mA RCD protected supply "for safety".
Part of your job requires you to test RCD's on portable appliances.
However you find your RCD tester occasionally trips your bench RCD, especially when doing an 5I test.
This is because the differential fault current flows through both the RCD under test, and the bench supply RCD.
I could not download the circuit, but I understand the primary is floating, and the secondary bonded at one end to earth.
By using this transformer, the differential fault current would only flow through the RCD under test.
The primary current is balanced and therefore does not now trip the bench supply RCD.

Rob.