UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2012, 3:51 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default How To Wire Up A Stereo Cartridge To A Mono Record Player?

I've just bought an SC12H Stereo Cartridge for my mono record player (which has only two wires through the arm) The red wire being the + & the black is -

The question is, do I connect the wires to the left channel pair of pins on the cartridge or to the right hand pair?

Or should I be connecting to both channels of the cartridge in some way, possibly in series or parallel, obviously I'm not trying to get stereo on my mono player but would this method be better for reproduction from the cartridge, instead of just wiring to one side?

Tony
Old 6th May 2012, 4:46 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: How To Wire Up A Stereo Cartridge To A Mono Record Player?

I would wire left and right in parallel.
Old 6th May 2012, 8:11 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Either join the two positive and two negative pins on the cartridge itself with fine wire (fiddly) and then connect the two existing wires, or join the two "positives" and "negatives" (earths) at the tag strip under the deck. Doesn't really matter how you do it, as long as the two channels are joined before the amp.

Barry
Old 7th May 2012, 11:26 am   #4
camtechman
Nonode

Thanks, will do.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:39 am   #5
camtechman
Nonode

Just a few seconds after posting my previous reply, I remembered that I have a box of odds & sods of cartridge fittings and that I have several shorting links, as pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgp2754.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	66267  
Old 7th May 2012, 5:40 pm   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

If they fit, fine, but if the two positives and negatives are diagonally opposite, make sure the two links can't touch each other.

Barry
Old 7th May 2012, 7:39 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

On an SC12, the top two pins are the lives and the bottom two pins are the returns.