UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)
Register FAQ Forum Rules Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 14th Apr 2012, 9:34 pm   #1
marconi_pete
Tetrode

Default Help needed Identifying this vintage radio

Hi there,
I have just acquired this radio, and have no idea about its origin. There are no identifying marks on it that I can see other than the word "Metres" to the left of the dial. It's battery powered and uses a mixture of 3 Ediswan valves and 1 Mullard valve. Any help regarding this, would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures attached as thumbnails below, much better than links to remote-hosted image sites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	65109   Click image for larger version

Name:	m2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	65110   Click image for larger version

Name:	m3.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	65111  
marconi_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2012, 10:09 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Nonode

Default Re: Help needed Identifying this vintage radio

Something about those knobs, plus the colour of the rexine says 'Ever Ready' to me, though
I'm prepared to be wrong. No idea what model it is though. Most E.R. sets were 'Sky........' (e.g. Emperor, King, Queen, Prince, etc.) though none of those, IIRC, were 'attache case' types.
'LIVEWIRE?' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2012, 10:48 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Octode

Could be although the outside looks Vidor-ish, not I set I ever remember seeing.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2012, 11:10 pm   #4
paulsherwin

If it's full of Ediswan valves it's probably an export set, possibly a Berec which was the Ever Ready export brand. The circuits of these 1950s battery sets are all much of a muchness. The only real difference is the use of a frame or ferrite rod aerial.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2012, 12:44 pm   #5
marconi_pete
Tetrode

Thanks for all your help. I think it's an Ever Ready set. the set has two dead batteries, one is a 90 volt battery and the other is an 11 and a half volt LT, which I assume is for the valve heaters. Does anyone know what would be a suitable modern equivalent power supply for this, as I've given up all hope of finding original replacements. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th Apr 2012, 1:53 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Dekatron

Are you sure the LT battery is 11V? That seems rather peculiar to me for a radio with, presumably, four valves with 1V heaters; 1V or 7V is more the norm for LT batteries.

Anyway, whatever, you won't find replacements as they became obsolete donkey's years ago. Battery eliminators or home-made repro batteries (10 x PP3 for HT, for example) is the usual course of action. There's ample information in the forum about that.
Old 15th Apr 2012, 2:59 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Octode

I just knew we'd been here before, but had to dig out an old Practical Wireless to put a name to the set and find the thread: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=48933

Paul

(EDIT : Added scans. This looks more like the exact set than does the earlier ad I found last time)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001a.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	65150   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001b.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	65151  

Last edited by Paul_RK; 15th Apr 2012 at 3:10 pm.
Paul_RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2012, 6:02 pm   #8
marconi_pete
Tetrode

Thanks for your help. That is indeed the correct set. I can now stop calling it an Ever Ready set and Start calling it an SRS set. I have come across Battery eliminators before, and they seemed rather large in size. I think my chances of being able to retain the battery eliminator in the same space as the original batteries will be slim. The closest match I could find to the original spec, was a 90V HT/ 1.4V LT. Will this be any good, considering the original LT battery is 1.5v? Thanks in advance.
Old 15th Apr 2012, 7:25 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Octode

No problem there at all. Battery voltages are always nominal, falling as the batteries age - particularly so for the zinc-carbon cells which all radios of this vintage were used with - and 1.4 is actually the specified filament voltage for all battery valves of this vintage (though 1.5 or so, as obtained from new cells, won't hurt them).
Paul_RK is offline   Reply With Quote