UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers
Register FAQ Forum Rules Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 6th Aug 2011, 7:33 am   #1
marcus11111
Diode

Default CBM Pet 4016. Value?

Hi.

I have an old CBM Pet 4016, 2 X CBM 8050 dual floppy disk drives and a 4022 tractor printer. These are in the loft. I was wondering if they are worth anything.

Thanks.

Marcus.

Last edited by Station X; 6th Aug 2011 at 8:34 am. Reason: FSK
marcus11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2011, 9:07 am   #2
ajs_derby
Dekatron

Default Re: CBM Pet 4016. Value?

It's worth as much as anyone is prepared to pay for it .....

Check Internet auction sites to see what sort of money similar equipment goes for. But beware of scams where the same lot is serially sold between collaborators at inflated prices, in order to create the impression that the goods are more valuable than they really are .....

Please use this thread for free valuations on kit you want to sell elsewhere.
ajs_derby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2011, 9:50 am   #3
marcus11111
Diode

thanks for tips
Not had a lot of luck anywhere on internet
was hoping someone here may have an idea
marcus

Last edited by Dave Moll; 6th Aug 2011 at 10:10 am. Reason: duplicate text removed from post
marcus11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 9:26 pm   #4
Danny
Heptode

Hi there cant be to many of these left now . I recon this type of thing will go up in value rappidly. i would keep an eye out for similar setups and see what thay are making. if i had more space i would make you an offer. but if i was you i would keep it for the future.Danny
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2011, 8:08 am   #5
Andy Doz
Hexode

I ran my service department repair tracking system with one of these identical setups until the late 90's.... never missed a beat
Andy Doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2011, 9:02 am   #6
Peter.N.
Nonode

I have an old Wang laptop with a thermal printer, I believe it was the first one to use a disc drive, DOS of course. I thought this might be worth something but have never seen another one for sale so can't tell.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2011, 11:11 pm   #7
OldPhoneNut
Diode

As others have wisely said, an old computer is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it

An old PET ... now, they were never exactly common in the first place, but it all depends on finding someone who wants to collect (or, even better, run) it. A lot of people would be put off both selling and buying such a system because of its size and weight. But there will be Commodore collectors out there - however, they're probably all buying at the minimum price they can find stuff for on the Internet.

Put it this way, it's unlikely to suddenly make you rich in the near term... I wouldn't have thought it was worth a lot as it's not anything particularly noteworthy. Which reminds me, I must try my old IBM PC XT and see if it still works next time I'm back at my dad's house. I believe it is now worth marginally more than the 70 Dad paid for it as work surplus many years ago ...
OldPhoneNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2011, 4:17 am   #8
oldmusicman
No Longer a Member

Hi Im a computer technician, and as part of that i collect old computers along side my vintage Radiograms and other bits and pieces that annoy my wife
What your computer is worth is a hard one because unlike radios tvs and Recordplayers that you can restore and use everyday if you want too, computers of this age are of no use apart from as a display machine.
You will find buyers because there are collectors but its bringing it to there attention in the first place, i bought for example an original ibm 8086 built in Scotland with instruction books and green screen monitor i paid a Hundred pounds for that when i was in the uk because that was what i was willing to pay.
Stick it on Ebay in the classic computer section and put a reserve of say 60 pounds on it, its a fair price and im fairly sure it will go, but there is also a chance it will attract a bidding war, you may get a lot more for it.

the more unusual and complete a computer is the better chance you have, if it doesnt go first time just try again
oldmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2011, 7:03 pm   #9
dseymo1
Octode

Yes, there's certainly a collectors' market for these. Some years ago, I sold one for quite a substantial sum (I don't now remember the amount) to a buyer who travelled a considerable distance to pick it up.
dseymo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2011, 9:39 pm   #10
Andy - G8MNM
Pentode

Hi,

Recently a friend sold a PET and manual (without disk drives)
Went for 50.

Regards

Andy
Andy - G8MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2011, 12:52 am   #11
retroguy
Diode

Yeah, this sort of thing was worthless not so long ago, but they're getting a bit more interest now. Having said that, I have seen them go fairly cheap - averaging 50 as mentioned. It depends on the model, condition and how complete it is.

I'd love to pick one up before they get expensive, but I think I'd be killed if I brought something else in the house without getting rid of some stuff first!
retroguy is offline   Reply With Quote