View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2013, 2:41 pm   #9
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Perdio Portarama Dual Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
Perdio's demise is not
entirely clear - I have a stereo amplifier from around 1971 with the Perdio Audio
brand name (Lion logo) -I have no idea where it was made (UK) or who sold it.
Hello,

Some info about Perdio:-

Perdio Ltd, Dunstan House, St Cross Street, London, EC1 (in 1957). In 1962, name changed to Perdio Electronics Ltd, Bonhill Street, London, EC2 (when Perdio became a public company in 1962) and opened a factory near Sunderland.

Established in 1956, by Derek Wilmot and financed by Irish peer, Lord Suirdale. Perdio stood for Personal Radio. Perdio quickly established a big share of the transistor portable radio market. In 1963, they were selling the “KH” high impedance meter adaptor (see Kenure-Holt). In the early 1960’s they also made transistor portable TV sets (The “Portarama”).

They struggled to compete with imported far eastern “Empire made” transistor portables and their “Portarama” TV set didn’t do as well as hoped. Consequently, Perdio went into receivership in 1965.

By 1965, Perdio also owned: Kenure-Holt Electronics and Electric Audio Reproducers ("EAR") Ltd.

The brand was subsequently used on imported radios by others. In 1966, Dansette Products Ltd, a company recently formed to take over the assets of Perdio Electronics Ltd acquired the company. Mr Louis Margolin (of Dansette) became the MD of Perdio and Dansette. Of course, Dansette went bust a few years later (Rank Radio International acquired and used the Dansette brand for a few years in the early 1970s).

I don't know what happened to the Perdio brand after Dansette Products Ltd went bust.............

Regards,

Dazzlevision