View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2006, 9:06 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PC as a standard convertor

Kat

Unlike so many folks who have suggested using a PC for standards conversion you have the technical knowledge to do it if it's possible.

The main problem as I see it is getting a sensible 405 waveform. Ignoring DVI which isn't relevant here, the outputs of graphics cards are either RGB or, in some cases, PAL/NTSC. Unless the PAL/NTSC coder in the graphics chip is very programmable* I think you will have trouble getting a sensible 405 line waveform out of it. For monochrome you would use the Y part of an S-video output but it's quite likely that the line and field lengths will be "hardwired". The RGB outputs are more promising since they are usually highly programmable. A small amount of analogue circuitry would be needed to add syncs and generating composite 405 sync might be a problem.

A colleague has a lot of experience of getting graphics cards to run at funny resolutions. He once made a BBC-B work at 405 (I tried this years ago when I had one) and has made DVI outputs do almost impossible things. He reckons it was hard getting the DVI output to run at 720*576, 50Hz (CCIR 601) though this varied between different graphics cards.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just pointing at some of the likely problems and wishing you all good luck.

*Some cards may have a separate PAL/NTSC coder. David Robinson has succeeded in making the ADV7171 do 405 out (not on a graphics card) but it took a lot of ingenuity. I tried and failed even though I knew the chip pretty well.