View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2010, 3:05 pm   #1
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips Hi-Z record player

I restore windup gramophones and so quantities of old 78rpms come my way. To check out these 78s less labouriously I bought an electric autochanger player in as found condition at a general auction in Exeter a couple of years ago. It's a tabletop model in dark wood veneer, a Philips Hi-Z mk 40102.

To my great surprise it worked! Lovely tone and plenty of volume. Rather clunky to operate but it let me listen to eight 78s at a time while getting on with other things - instead of winding and changing needles all the time. However I've not found any info or images on the internet.

Sadly it has just fallen silent. Everything seems to work as normal but no sound - or just the faintest sound with thw volume on max. I'd love to get it back in action but electronics aren't my field, and given the complete absence of info I wonder whether it's economically viable.

I want a working machine not a project or museum piece. So any and all info on this record player or clues regarding the problem will be greatly appreciated.