View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2006, 2:35 pm   #6
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: FotH TV System - X Modelines

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_beacon View Post
have you tried a "dual head" system yet with the GeForce? for example, 625 on the S-Video port and 405 on the VGA.
Not yet... I haven't got a plug for the S-Video socket...

Further updates to my progress...

I now have a modeline for 441/30; based on the information kindly posted in this thread. Switched to 525-line the Pye monitor locked to it after tweaking the horizontal hold. Playing back a Region 2 PAL DVD gave watchable pictures with some juddering when the camera panned or something moved across the frame; but it's still watchable. This is why I tried a 60Hz standard - I wanted to see how the system coped with frame-rate conversion. It does quite well, really.

This raises an interesting point - if you play back NTSC DVDs then the 60Hz standards should work well, with no juddering; likewise the 50Hz standards with PAL DVDs. So theoretically, wherever you are, by buying DVDs in an appropriate standard you can watch rather good pictures on old sets. I still need to confirm this, I've not got any Region 1 DVDs at the moment.

Anyway, once I've worked out a lot more modelines I'll pass the X configuration file on to Jim so there's somewhere to download it from.

Some of them involve a bit of guesswork on my part due to lack of information; I can get the line and frame rates very close; sync timings might be off a bit but those are easy enough to tweak - the hard part is getting the basic timing right. As more information becomes available I can revise the file and release a new version.

If anyone has any more detailed timing information for any standards I'd appreciate it, please add it to Obsolete Standard Details Wanted or PM me for an email address to send large pdfs etc. to. If it's not covered here or in that thread, assume I've not got details.

Cheers, Kat