Old 10th Mar 2006, 1:53 pm   #44
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PC as a standard convertor

Hi Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
My mythbox currently has a "rivafb: nVidia device/chipset 10DE0150
rivafb: nVidia Corporation NV15 [GeForce2 GTS/Pro]" fitted. This has got a composite out on it, so is this likely to support interlaced modes?
It's the graphics processor and driver which determine whether interlaced modes are supported, my GeForce2 card with the nVidia 1.0-6629 driver release did not support interlaced modes; the same driver with a GeForce4 card does.

So it's likely that your card doesn't support interlaced modes - if you're using it in a MythTV box on 625 line you probably have 288 line progressive at present.

Have a look through the X log file (probably /var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/XFree86.0.log.) This should contain information on whether the GPU supports interlacing, the range of the dot-clock generator, etc., along with some information on the calculated timings for whatever display modes you're using.

The card won't produce non-standard modes out of the composite or S-Video outputs; as John says this comes via a TV encoder chip which handles 625/50 PAL and 525/60 NTSC. The nVidia driver refuses to run anything other than 'standard' resolutions/timings on either S-Video out or composite out anyway; X will exit with an error if you try. This is why I'm doing this via the RGB+sync output; if it worked via S-Video or composite I'd be using it as it'd be less complicated and saves some effort

Regards, Kat