View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2017, 1:26 pm   #4
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Fridge compressor capacitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Yours sounds like it might have been a capacitor start type where the capacitor and centrifugal switch arrangement has been replaced by the electronic starter you describe. Is there a largish (few uF ) ac rated capacitor in there?
I think you're right, There is a largish capacitor in there, I cant recall the specs though and it would be a pain to get to it now and check. Ive done my best to replicate the wiring as I found out, with the main addition being the solid state relay that now switches the whole lot on or off.

There are 3 terminals on the starter, one goes to the start winding, the other 2 are Live & Neutral. The other 2 terminals on the compressor are connected to Live and Neutral. The compressor is a little loud generally, due to age Im assuming, but not that bad once its running. The start windings engage for around a second or so which I can hear by the difference in noise levels.

I did wonder if I would be better off with a new starter, but this one works and I've no idea what spec the compressor is as I cant see any identifying markings on it