View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2009, 11:21 pm   #13
silver ghost
Triode

Default Re: repairing 1950s Philips record player, long post

I am almost shore that this radio is from the late 50's, mostly because of the record player. In 1960 Philips record changers had a slightly different tonearm, even though the changing mechanism looks much the same in the spindle and arm, it was different under the deck, and the functions had different buttons for speed change.

I have searched the web thoroughly and not found any thing that dates it to a specific year, but it looks like the tonearm had the same shape for about a decade from the late 40's to the late 50's. Like in the link in my first post.

I contacted Philips here in Norway and they gave me a phone number to a guy that new about the old models and products. He could tell me that the wooden cabinet was built in Norway with Philips parts. Unfortunately he could only tell me what I suspected already, late 50's early 60's.

I don't know if I shall try and replace the turntable with something better, like a Garrard or if I should just get an old Garrard (or similar) and place it on the top of the radio. Then I could keep the original turntable and see what can be done with it.