View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 4:28 pm   #117
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Server Busy or Unavailable

Upgrade to the new vBulletin is £109 plus VAT. I don't like vBulletin 4 though - I have used it on another website for a client and was not impressed. This price is just for an upgrade to version 4, if/when they release version 5 there will be a further upgrade cost.

vBulletin 3.x was the last version written by Jelsoft in the UK. vBulletin 4.x was released after they were taken over by Internet Brands (USA company) and got rid of most of the UK based developers. There are still a lot of people using vBulletin 3.x or moving to other solutions because they don't like vBulletin 4.x and/or the way the organisation is now run.

phpBB is well established and does have a vBulletin 3.x importer available. As vBulletin 3 has been around for a long time I would expect the importer to work well and be fully debugged.

I plan to download the full forum site (attachments, database etc) to my local development server and and see how the importing etc works. Then I will be better placed to make a decision.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster