View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2017, 9:00 pm   #431
Vulcan's Grave
Diode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex 2 Base View Post
Any one remember Derwent Radio in Scarborough ? Des Wood the owner passed away 3 weeks ago. Des had a lot of ex governments bits and pieces and stock much similar to J Birkett in Lincoln.
Hello one and all; just joined this group after lurking for a while. My very good friend Mike from Leeds, Telstar, has mentioned joining loads of times and since lurking, I realise I should have…years ago.

I now live back in Scarborough again. Derwent Radio was a shop at the top of Columbus ravine in Scarborough, sold all manner of stuff both old and new. The owner Des Wood was a licensed amateur started the shop probably in the late 60s. Catered for amateur radio needs too and sold aerials and general electronic components. My friend Malcolm Hewitt (Who later bought the shop from Des when he retired) used to spend hours in the place and as we were impecunious school kids at the time, we often came away with ‘junk’ to play with. Always one to drive a hard bargain Des, although looking back I suppose it was his living! I’m really sorry to hear of his passing. He lived not far away from me and used to enjoy flying I believe. It’s years since I’ve seen him though.

Another shop in Hoxton Road (and against all odds is still trading exactly the same way today nearly 50 years later!) is Moore’s who still keep a rather esoteric stock of spares and still do repairs I believe.

Chris G8PIC