View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2014, 2:19 am   #220
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Another unusual plug and some other questions

I have only just noticed #216 and the most interesting linked Hubbell catalogue, having been taken ill on holiday last year when it was originally posted.

In my earlier post #68 I mentioned Hubbell's patent US776,326. Pages 52 -57 of the catalogue feature "Multiple Attachment Plugs" similar to those shown in that patent, but modified for the then-new flat pin plugs. Pages 56 and 57 indicate that the illustrated example of a plug for a "receptacle of any ordinary type" shown in Figs 2, 3 and 4 of the patent, and which Hubbell implicitly acknowledges was already in use before his patent was filed in 1903, was called a "Chapman Receptacle". Google produced a photo of one here:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or...d8eba434e3.jpg

as well as a few examples of early literature where such receptacles are mentioned. Its contact arrangement is similar to the "Kliegl" connector that was used for studio/stage lighting well into the second half of the 20th century, but whereas the Kliegl has a resilient contact on the plug, the Chapman has resilient receptacle contacts.

If I ever get round to learning how to make entries on Wikipedia, I might correct the caption to the drawing of the early Hubbell plug of US 774,250 (filed on the same date as US 776,326 and showing the same type of plug) that, at the time of writing, appears on the "AC power plugs and sockets" pages. I am sure I saw the drawing and caption some years ago in an account of Hubbell's history that used to appear on their web site, and which has since been revised.

Thanks, Gene, for clearing up that mystery!

Last edited by emeritus; 4th Apr 2014 at 2:33 am.