View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2017, 10:17 am   #12
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Re: Asbestos in Pye B16T?

I was giving my advice because firstly I attempted a TV from a similar period, the much rated Philips 485U and managed to make a total pig's ear of it culminating in me destroying the CRT heater because I chose to ignore the advice from fellow forum members which was mainly to leave such a set, as late 50s TVs are easier than late 40s ones. Now, there must have been a reason for this advice being given. And knowing I ruined an extremely rare 1940s TV set has never left me as it taught me never to be too ambitious, which I definitely was with that TV!

As soon as I started my next restoration (a 1960 Sobell T192), I could see that their advice was right.

I started off from having no prior experience with restoring radios, unlike the OP, but I learned the hard way that late 1940s TVs (especially ones with mains EHT, which I wouldn't even touch to this day!) are not the best TVs to start on.

The OP said he has restored radios, so we can assume he has learned some restoration and safety practices from that, but is he prepared to risk the mains EHT? After all, if his dad is threatening to chuck the TV out if it has asbestos in it, what will he do if he learns it poses a risk to his son's life if he accidentally touches a part of it?

Part of which is why I advised to get someone local to provide safety and technical advice and also reassure his dad. His dad can't know too much about old electronics if he thinks they are riddled with asbestos, so both of them would benefit from such advice. However I still don't think a late 1940s TV would be a good idea for a first restoration, I tried that and got my fingers badly burnt.

Cheers,
Aidan Lunn