View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2017, 10:56 pm   #3
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Re: Studer A807 calibration technique

Hi James, thanks for the reply.
The deck is fed and feeds a Tascam M30 mixing desk at -10bB (0.3V). But when calibrating I disconnect it from the system and use an audio signal generator set at 1000Hz 0.775V 0dB into a 600ohm load and check levels with a couple of analogue millivolt meters. Pretty standard stuff. The machine has no meters or levelcontrols, all recording/playback adjustments are made at the M30.
The confusion comes when calibrating and hence my original question. If you know the Studer, you initially set an internal input of 1kHz 0.775V 0db by measuring at a test point on the audio board and adjusting with a trimmer. This then has the internal output level matched to it from another test point and trimmer. Again very logical. Problem comes when I move the jumpers to suit the input to the M30. If I set up at the standard level -4 to +17dB it's too hot for the mixer. If I move the jumper then try to set the levels the trimmers can't get the range necessary.
I guess I should set up at the 'standard' level then move the jumpers and ignore the meter readings (which is what I've been doing). Presumably, when I move the jumpers I'm just swapping between groups of resistors and the signal into these resistors doesn't change only the signal out? I'm not an electronics guru as you can tell. Give me a box of spanners and an exploded diagram and I'll take it down to the last star washer. Give me a electronic schematic and I'll scratch my head and watch the sawdust fall :-(.