View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 3:27 pm   #9
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Help with Colour TV set identification??

I couldn't resist taking the poor thing to pieces as it is in such dire need of a good clean.

The degaussing shield comes off without the tube coming as well and the tube is made by Hitachi. I can't remember the exact type number as I'm at work now but it was definitely "510 xyz 22" but I can't remember what "xyz" was, I will look when I get home. I can certainly test it on the B&K so I will get an idea as to if it's still OK.

The chassis can come out of the cabinet "as a whole" as everything is unpluggable. It even has a "sort of" handle in the bracket across the top so it can be carried easily! The front plastic bezel is fixed to the wooden cabinet by 12 screws, rather like the Hitachi CSP680 and it's small screen brother. When the screws are out the cabinet will just lift off the bezel and I can then better get at the fixings to the front controls to clean and service them. There are three indicator lamps but I think two are "popped" unless the switches that control them have dirty contacts, quite possible. The tuner seems remarkably similar to the one in the Hitachi sets, and it has the same sort of pointer that is behind a "21-68" scale on the front panel over the control knobs. It would have had a VHF tuner in a different guise (Australia etc perhaps) as there is provision for fitting one above the UHF one, but instead there is a separate "if pre-amplifier" can that the output from the tuner goes to before it goes to the main board.

There is a distinct similarity to the JVC 7445GB that I have and that "is" in the R&TVS books (76-77). This set looks a bit more old fashioned than the 7445 however, with it's tube behind the mask and possibly is a bit older. It's a smart looking thing (or will be when it has had a good clean) and well worth preserving as it so well made. I did power it up before I started to dismantle it and I thought it must have been faulty as it was so quiet - before the raster came up!!

Robert

Last edited by bobbyball; 26th Jun 2013 at 3:32 pm.