View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2007, 12:12 pm   #8
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pulse (Loop Disconnect) to Tone (DTMF) Converter?

Well I can now report very successful findings in this area.

Firstly the pulse to tone converter from the USA works extremely well, you can use it on a landline or with a PremiCell/GMS Adaptor perfectly well.

Secondly, there are a number of PremiCells/GMS Adaptors available, there are some Nokia models from the late 90's which support pulse dialling, I have managed to track down two of these, one for 02 or Vodafone and the other for Orange or T-Mobile.

They are extremely simple, you insert your SIM card in to the unit and connect it to a power supply (either mains via an an adaptor at home, or else though a cigarette ligheter adaptor in your car, there is also a re-chargable battery unit which allow you to use it anywhere, even when walking around.

You can then connect up any vintage telephone you want, I've tried 200 series, 300 series and 700 series telephones, and they work perfectly well. You can dial out and make a call, just as you would on a landline, you hear the usual dialing tone and you just dial. When a call is received the telephone rings and you can just answer it, you can also use a caller display unit between the telephone and the Premicell/GSm Adaptor if you wish, this then allow you to see who is calling.

At last it is now possible to have a Bakelite mobile telephone!

I didn't want to risk damage to a 300 though, and so our car telephone is now a black 706 from 1961.