View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2009, 10:49 pm   #15
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Re: Old electrical fittings

Hi All,
I seem to remember that Walsall and Britmac did a range of industrial plugs and sockets loosely based around the 13amp gauge with various combinations of pins such as: round earth pin with horizontal L&N pins, round earth pin with vertical L&N pins, 13amp gauge with round neutral pin, 13amp gauge with neutral pin at 45°, 13amp gauge with neutral pin at 45° & round live pin, etc., etc. And either DP fused, SP fused or unfused.
Wylex also made a 2amp plug that was like their 5amp one except that the earth tube had two flats. The idea was that lower rated (fused) plugs would fit higher rated sockets but not vice versa (that was until the L&N holes became wider through wear or damage.)
I'm sure this will make no sense whatsoever to our friends overseas.
And I thought it was only me that had a fascination with plugs & sockets since early childhood. I even brought a box of old plugs & sockets here with me. What would Freud have made of it all?
Cheers de Pete

Last edited by Tractorfan; 19th Jan 2009 at 10:50 pm. Reason: Forgot to add "Cheers de Pete"