View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2017, 11:35 pm   #48
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: My first antique TV-Olympic Model 755-need help.

I just noticed there are a couple of "bumblebee" capacitors I missed (black with colored stripes). Holy cow, this thing has a lot of capacitors!! I'm going to replace them tomorrow, and I have my fingers crossed that might do something.

Could bad capacitors cause problems like this, with the sound interfering with the image? Earlier, I had to put the tv on channel 4 to get reasonably clear audio from the vcr and yet had to to put the tv on channel 3 to get any kind of discernible image. (The sound on channel 3 was just a loud buzzing). So even when I was getting a faint fuzzy image, something wasn't quite working right. Now it seems like the video and sound are both coming in on the same channel. Maybe I did "fix" something, if they're both coming in on the same channel, but then I ran into this newest problem.

I noticed on the diagram something called a "sound trap." I read a little online and is it supposed to help to separate the sound out of the video signal? If so, I wonder if any remaining bad capacitors (I thought I got them all!) could cause it to not work and maybe that's why I getting this problem with the sound interfering with the video?

If changing the capacitors doesn't do anything, then I'm going to check the voltages at the tubes as suggested. I actually haven't really done any in-depth measurements yet.

I'm still trying to be hopeful, but yeah I might have to take a break from the tv for a while if I don't start getting somewhere with it soon. I was so excited about having an antique tv like this that I've been pretty much working on it non-stop since I got it! It's turning out to be a lot harder to fix than I thought it would be.

Edit: Argus25, I just saw your post. Any silver lining is definitely welcome! I'm going to work on that!

- Chris