View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2007, 8:32 pm   #3
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Akai Ds-4000 Mkii

Hi.

Welcome to the forum. The Akai 4000 series, although very much designed as domestic/budget recorders gave a very good account of themselves acoustically. They are very sturdily built, which is why there are still so many around, and parts can be found regularly on 'that' auction site as well as through various reputable dealers.

If you can, make sure yours is a 'Mk2' version, as these were fitted with the later spring loaded reel retainers for use when using the machine in vertical mode.

On a personal note, I own both a 4000D and a 4000DS (Mk2) which still perform extremely well as far as sound quality goes - the 4000DS having the edge in terms of ultimate sound quality.

Apart from the predictable problems common to most recorders (drive belts and the like) the 4000 series does have a nasty little achilles heel. Quite commonly, the cam which operates the record function can disintegrate, leaving you with a playback only machine. The cam is easy to replace but a little harder to find. I bought mine from 'reelprosoundguys.com' in the states. Helpful people and not too expensive.

If I were to look for general 'negatives' then I would have to say that I find the 2-lever operating mechanism a little 'agricultural', as is the speed change system which uses a sleeve over the capstan (MAKE SURE THE MACHINE YOU BUY COMES COMPLETE WITH THIS SLEEVE & RETAINER, otherwise you'll only be able to play and record at the slower speed), but don't forget this was essentially a budget machine, and on balance I think the money was spent where it mattered most - sound quality. One other thing worth mentioning is that the machines can be quite mechanically noisey in operation. How much that matters only you can say!

Hope that's of some help - just my humble opinion. Others here may well have a different view.

Cheers,

Roger.