View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 10:40 am   #8
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: 625-Line Television Broadcast Standards

It would be interesting to compare systems B/G and I side-by-side with receiving equipment that is optimized for each case. I have a multistandard Philips receiver that I have used in South Africa, the USA and Australia. I doubt that it takes full advantage of the bandwidth possibilities of system I, but my assessment is that it was directionally better in South Africa (system I) than here in Australia (system B/G). In the USA (system M) I used it as a monitor, fed from a Luxman T407 outboard tuner. By the way, once one is well-accustomed to the 60 Hz field frequency of system M, it takes quite a while of watching 50 Hz systems before the flicker goes unnoticed.

Back to the origins of the various 625-line broadcast transmission systems, and with reference to the narrow-channel system N, according to Wikipedia, Argentinean television started in October, 1951, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_7_Argentina. So assuming that it was used from the start in Argentina, system N arrived quite early in 625-line history, about two years ahead of the Belgian system C. On the other hand, from the same article, PAL-N was quite late, in 1978.

Cheers,